Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I got a message on one of the sites I use saying I need to update my Safari browser because the site will no longer be accessible from the old version soon.

I tried looking in the app store for an update, but found nothing. I read that you can update it by updating your OS version, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Is there a way to just update my Safari app? If not, what's the next safest browser to use on a non-jailbroken iPad? One of the reasons I like using an iPad as opposed to an Android tablet is because they are supposed to be more secure and I'm a little worried that using a different browser won't be as secure.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I got a message on one of the sites I use saying I need to update my Safari browser because the site will no longer be accessible from the old version soon.

I tried looking in the app store for an update, but found nothing. I read that you can update it by updating your OS version, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Is there a way to just update my Safari app? If not, what's the next safest browser to use on a non-jailbroken iPad? One of the reasons I like using an iPad as opposed to an Android tablet is because they are supposed to be more secure and I'm a little worried that using a different browser won't be as secure.
It’s impossible to update Safari independently from updating iOS.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Sometimes when a web site tells you that it won't work unless you upgrade they're actually kind of lying... it sometimes means "We don't want to test our site against all these old browser versions," even though they probably work. The trouble is, sometimes they code the site to check the user agent string supplied by your browser, and refuse to even try to work. One way around this is to use a non-Safari browser that has more control over what it supplies as the user agent string. One such browser is iCab; if you tap on the gear (settings) icon in iCab for iOS, and select the Web Sites settings page it will bring you to a page where you can change what they call the Default Browser ID. This is the User Agent setting, and they let you select from a wide variety of different strings, even including desktop browser user agent strings. You can even get tricky and use a specific ID string for a specific site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.