Is it possible to update to 5.1 without losing JB apps?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by indypacer, Jun 23, 2012.

1. indypacer macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for awhile. I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) with a jailbroken iOS 5.0.1. I know that there's a jailbreak out now for 5.1, my question is this - is there a way to update from one to the other without losing my jailbreak tweaks and apps? Or what do I have to do in order to back up my JB stuff? I searched around a little bit and mostly just found blog spam, so I'm hoping someone here can give a direct answer.

2. barredfreak macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2012
    I don't think that's possible. Even though I barely mess around with jailbreaking, I believe that the only thing you can do is to save your SHSH blobs, so that you can downgrade your phone to a previous version of iOS, should you choose to.
  3. labman macrumors 604

Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit
    pkgbackup and xbackup in cydia can backup and restore that is the easiest way always has been.
  4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2010
    GA, USA
    Nope. Any sort of update or restore will undo the jailbreak. You can use Pkgbackup as Labman said for JB stuff, & AppBackup for your app settings & game saves, etc.
  5. indypacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the clarification guys, you saved me a lot of time. I'll look into those apps and hopefully get updated to 5.1 tomorrow.
  6. dhlizard macrumors G4

Mar 16, 2009
    The Jailbreak Community