Is it possible to upgrade an Early 2008 Mac Pro Quad?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Archmagination, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

I got a line on an Mac Pro MA970LL/A Quad Core 2.8ghz. Looking at the model number it seem to be a 'Early 2008' with a Harpertown processor, but I can't find any info on the upgradability of the processor.

I tried searching on this forum, but I am apparently searching using the wrong terms. Any help would be appreciated.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, the processor/s can be upgraded. If it's to remain a Quad, then you can go for a higher clock (3.4GHz is the highest that exists in the Harpertown parts/Xeon X5492, but I'm not sure if it's ever been done. The 3.2GHz parts, yes, and it was an option directly from Apple as well).

But if you want to make it an Octad, both parts need to be the same P/N's (you can change the clocks here too, but . You'd also need a second cooler (can be obtained from Mac parts outlets, such as Macpalace.com for ~$102USD last I checked), but it's doable. :)

Just note that the 54xx Xeon's are expensive. So it might be cheaper to sell off the existing system, and get one of the 3.2GHz '08 Octads currently available in the Apple refurbished store, depending on what you paid for the current system, and what the needed parts will add to that. You'd have to run the numbers to see for yourself.