is it possible to upgrade ssd on rmbp 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFR25, Jul 4, 2016.

1. AFR25 macrumors newbie

AFR25

i consider, is it possible to upgrade ssd on rmbp 2015?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes OWC has some options now. Though it's going to be slower speeds. Probably no real world difference. It isn't cheap. But to purchase correct GB too start with.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Sure. Why not?

You can buy used original SSD from eBay or new aftermarket from OWC.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's removable, but uses a nonstandard interface. As another poster already pointed out, OWC sells a 3rd party option, but it's slow and expensive. You could possibly find a OEM Apple SSD on eBay.

Anyway. The best option is to buy the computer you need.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Not everyone has the money upfront to buy the greatest specs.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Then buy the computer that suits your needs and falls within your budget.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I think he is just trying to give good financial advise...if you don't have the money for the upgrade then maybe you should wait or not purchase machine at all. Obviously they can be situations that require to purchase a certain with a very limited budget...but in general great advice!

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Or, you know... buy now, upgrade later when you have the money.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the computer that suits your needs is upgradeable, that's good advice. I don't really consider the rMBP to be upgradeable(and I'm pretty sure you don't either).

I, personally, wouldn't risk my money on a eBay SSD. I don't know where it came from. I don't know if it has been damaged. It may or may not have warranty. To me, it's just not worth it.

11. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Im needing a financial advisor - can you help? I guess we just disagree on what is the best options...which is fine. :)

12. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

What do you mean? The SSD is held by a single screw and is easily upgradable.

In that case, you can buy the SSD from a different source.

Please give all your money to Trump so he can lose in a "smaller" landslide.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're going to make me quote you, huh? :rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...k-pros-not-upgradeable.1960895/#post-22663617

Please point me to a source where I can buy a 1TB OEM Apple SSD with a full 1 year warranty, that is cheaper than just buying the rMBP that suits your needs.

14. tubeexperience, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I was talking about the memory which is soldered.

I want 16 GB memory for my rMBP, but I can't upgrade the memory. :(

Some sellers on eBay provide 180 days warranty, which is generous compared to the 90 days warranty that Apple provides with replacement parts.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Gotcha.

Yes, 180 days is 50% of what I'd get if I were to just buy the computer that suits my needs to begin with.

16. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

As I previously said, not everybody has the money or want to spend that much upfront.

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's been 4 years, I know that apples lack of upgradeability is killing your business fixing and upgrading macs but you knew it was coming.

You don't have to constantly bang on about it here we all know your views on the subject and they are fair, but ultimately don't help anyone.

Sure point out to potential buyers that the ram is soldered and the SSD is difficult and expensive to upgrade, but currently the most cost effective way of having the SSD size you want in your rMBP is to buy it with the size you want.

That may not be what you want it may not be what other people want but that is the reality of the situation and moaning on and on about it isn't going to change that.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I read somewhere, that these OWC drives use a RAID controller to save money which is why they're a little slower, but also TRIM does not work and also I read (I forget where), that bootcamp won't be available on these drives because of the chipsets.

I can't verify that last claim, but I did want to put it out there, in case the OP has some bootcamp plans.

Personally, I think the ebay option of buying it used is a safer bet

19. JTToft macrumors 68040

- All correct. But OWC reportedly did release some sort of software hack to make Bootcamp work on them after their release.
    They also don't support SMART due to the weird SATA RAID configuration.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/19/owc-releases-boot-camp-enabler-ssds/

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. While it may be "hack" it only needs to allow the drive to be partitioned it seems so after its installed, I think you may be good to go.

As for SMART, does that really matter for SSDs?

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, there's no reason to think the hack doesn't work properly with Bootcamp. But one would have preferred if it weren't necessary in the first place.

SMART probably isn't essential, and neither is TRIM or high speed, strictly, but when it all comes together it just adds up to product that really cuts too many corners, I think.

As I remarked in another thread:

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with you completely, individually, the lack of features is not a how stopper, but combined, it raises a red flag - at least in terms of getting value for your money. I think the ebay/used SSD option is a better choice.

23. tubeexperience, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Your devotion to a brand blinds you and hence why you make ludicrous assumptions about my own personal gains.

When memory was upgradable, people upgrade the memory themselves and it doesn't make much difference to me.

Now with the rMBP, the battery is glued to the top case and people don't know how to change it, so they paid me to do it for them.

Is this thread not about whether the SSD is upgradable or not? I think that it is!

...and as I said previously, not everyone can afford the biggest SSD that he/she want on initial purchase.

If you look into the mirror, you'll see someone moaning.

24. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Haven't heard back from the OP, I think the bickering scared him away.

OP:
    Re your question:
    "is it possible to upgrade ssd on rmbp 2015?"

Yes, it -IS- "possible", but it won't be cheap and the available solutions aren't the best.

You can buy the OWC replacement, but I understand it runs slower and hotter than the original.

Or, you can look for a -used- Apple-labeled drive on ebay.
    Don't expect too good a price, however.
    These ARE NOT available "new", at any price.

Really, your best option (in my opinion) is to become more critical of what you keep on the MacBook you have now, and "get rid of the excess".
    If you need to carry some "additional stuff" around with you, get a pre-packaged USB3 external SSD, something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20
    ...and plug it in when needed.

Unfortunately, this is the trend now with Apple.
    Storage is no longer [easily] upgradeable.
    If you're going to need "more storage" over the long run, you've got to "pay Apple's price" up front at original purchase time.

25. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Just curious, what are the R/W speeds on the OWC ssds? Current SATA SSDs max out at 550 MB/s. NVME is at 2500 MB/s?

Apple's seems to be around 1000 MB/s? For regular users that rarely transfer files continously like video files/large image files, the difference in speeds seems negligible? Do boot times get faster?