Is it possible to upgrade the CPU in the new '09 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by definitive, May 9, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'm interested in the single CPU 2.66. Is it possible to upgrade it to a faster CPU down the line?

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

One way to do that is to upgrade (replace) the whole logic board, which is very very expensive. Or you could just upgrade the processors, which you can do probably for about $300 (or more).

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yes it is. Any compatible single socket processor will do, i.e. right now that means 2.93 GHz. If they release octo-core on one CPU chips later down the line then there's a good chance they'll work too.

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Does anyone know if you can do this on the MacBook Pro? I know that the processor is built into the logic board, but does that really make it impossible to do?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is impossible, basically.

It can be done if you have a high end BGA rework station with an X-Ray alignment system.

But even that won't guarantee a solid change.

Always cheaper to sell the machine and buy a new one in this case.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Huh? How much electronics you really know?

What you asking is.. practically impossible.. Why? Cause you wanna de-solder the CPU from the MacBook Pro (de-soldering SMT ain't impossible) and replace it with a "Nehalem"; that has completely different pin layouts, not to mention it's a server processor, not lower powered mobile type.. AND it's physically physically BIGGER!!

Plus, even if you forced the "Nehalem" to fit, you'll soon realised it's been a complete waste of effort. As the Penryn's chipset is completely incompatible!!!

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

He didn't ask to change the MacBook Pro processor to a desktop chip, he just asked whether it was possible to replace it at all.

8. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yeah, I was just wondering if it was possible to upgrade to a 2.33GHz Morem processor from a 2.16GHz Morem processor. But now I see that I don't have the right tools to do that... ok, back to what this thread is supposed to be about (Mac Pro processors)

9. Oi-Oi-Oi macrumors member

Mac Pro

So has anyone actually done this? "This" being the single CPU upgrade in a 09 Mac Pro.

I am contemplating getting a Mac Pro with the base single 2.66GHz and popping in a higher frequency model if and when they become available.

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The answer is yes. If you would search, you would find a huge thread about it.

11. Oi-Oi-Oi macrumors member

300D I searched and found this thread.....