Is it possible to Upgrade Windows (Bootcamp) from xp to something else

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tozai, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Tozai macrumors newbie

Is it possible to Upgrade Windows (Bootcamp) from xp to something else without deleting everything on both sides?

I want to upgrade out of windows xp because it is no longer supported. However, I have never done anything with windows and am afraid of losing everything. XP seems incompetent and does not know how to backup its data (as if through time machine).

Could someone please walk me through what I will have to do to avoid suddenly deleting everything on my computer?

System info:
    Mac desktop Os: 10.6.8
    Partition Harddrive, Bootcamp; 50% Mac, 50% PC
    Running windows XP on the other side

2. Tozai thread starter macrumors newbie

update: I have found out I can update to windows 7, but still have no idea how to do so.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

XP qualifies you for upgrade pricing on a new version of Windows but there is no "direct" upgrade path from XP to anything newer. You will need to back up your data to ensure it's safe then do the "upgrade". Best bet is to format your BootCamp partition and do a clean install of the new OS.

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

What do you have that you want to back up on the Windows partition? What is the model of Macintosh you have?

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

So then why not delete the partition and then starting over?