is it possible to use 2010 unibody MBP in clamshell mode without using the plug?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edwinx, Oct 26, 2010.

1. edwinx macrumors member

Hi,

I am trying to get my mbp to run without using the power adapter in clamshell mode. Is it possible even?

Thanks,

2. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I dunno if there is a trick to doing it, but not that I've found (not that I've tried hard. I just know if my computer gets accidentally disconnected my monitor goes into disconnected mode).

I think it's a bit silly the programmed the mac to do that honestly. I don't really see the reason for it (if some one knows, I'd love to know why they made the mac not connect to a monitor when on battery). Only thing I can think of is that it may eat battery quicker but you know what, so does Sims (I get like maybe 4 more like 3 hours of battery playing Sims 3 on my 2010 13" MBP with it's 10 hour rated batter). I don't see them outlawing me doing that with my MBP.

3. edwinx thread starter macrumors member

yeah I know what you mean, its odd, I don't mind it to drain battery faster but I really don't want to keep it plugged in since that puts extra wear on the battery.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't put extra wear on the battery to run with it plugged in, as long as you don't do it for weeks at a time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

5. edwinx thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the link.

the "extra wear," that I am talking about is in the form of extra heat to the battery. Extra heat is bad for batteries and reduces their life span. So if the battery is charged, there is zero need to keep it plugged in.

I am just taking extra precautions, I want to milk the life out of my battery as much as possible since my mpb is my desktop replacement and it will go through a lot of full charge cycles through its life.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The battery is designed to handle the heat that the MBP creates. Running on battery when AC power is available is putting extra cycles on your battery needlessly. If you run on battery every 2 or 3 days for several hours, it's fine to leave it plugged in the rest of the time. Again, read the link I provided. There's lots of helpful information there.

7. fobis macrumors member