Is it possible to use an Apple DVI-era display with a non-Apple PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wrldwzrd89, Jun 22, 2012.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am building a custom PC. I've got it all spec'd and price of components quoted, as well as an OS boot/install media prepared. I am hoping to be able to reuse an Apple Display I purchased between the release of the Rev. D iMacs and Rev. E (we're currently at Rev. H). It has a standard DVI connector, if you take the mini-DVI adapter off. Of course, I won't be able to use the Firewire port replicator feature of this monitor. I might be able to use it as a USB port replicator only, but I'm not sure if that will even work given the difference in power provided to USB ports on Macs versus non-Mac PCs. The CPU I picked is an AMD A8, which has integrated Radeon graphics and supports VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort natively when paired with a suitable motherboard. Has anyone else tried a setup like this? If so, have you run into any issues (say, you can't adjust the brightness)?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll work, you just may not be able to adjust the brightness. Windows doesn't have a built in ability to do that.

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks. I figured the brightness control may not work, but that I can live with. I'm going to be running Ubuntu, not Windows, on my custom build though ;)

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The other issue is that it may not display the BIOS depending on the graphics card or other things at a lower resolution.
    This is true of my 20" Apple Aluminium Cinema Displays which I have in the past hooked up to a couple of PC's.

5. philstone macrumors 6502

Yip, I had that in the past with 20" CD and Dell desktops.

Running XP the display wouldn't show until the Windows login screen.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I happened upon this blog post that details controlling an older Apple Studio Display with Windows, it may work with the Cinema displays as well. http://lookanotherblog.com/?p=216