Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
The iPad is great for many things, but it's fundamentally a consumption device and isn't great for serious office work. For example, when I'm doing research I often have 6 or more "spaces" open with dozens of documents and websites and I need to be able to switch documents and applications easily, and most importantly, to have multiple documents on screen at the same time.

It also lacks many specialized applications that are only available on Windows or OS X, and is very difficult to get any kind of programming or web development done on.

Finally, it isn't powerful enough to do any kind of professional video editing or play modern video games (yes, iOS has some fun games, but it's nothing like the immersive experience of PC gaming).

I'm not trying to bash the iPad here (I love them), but they are only good for what they were made for: consumption. They are great for browsing the web, doing e-mail, listening to music, reading, and watching movies. They are even good for taking notes and some other light writing, but not if you ever have to have multiple documents open at the same time.

Great !!

Thanks

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
What do I do
=====================
# MS XL = any good alternative will do
# MS PPT = any good alternative will do
# Browser
# Text editing = example Note Tab. again alternatives will do
# Mail ( email) = mostly web mail
# Word
# PDF
# Voice over IP - phones
# Skype
# Instant messenger - like Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger etc
# Google Maps / you tube / drive etc = use windows programs to do these NOT only browser

if you spend any fair amount of time editing/creating spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations, you will probably wind up getting frustrated/impatient when doing this on the ipad, even if you get a keyboard.

the rest of the stuff on the list is not an issue on the ipad.

since you already have an ipad, if you wanted to try out if the ipad can substitute for a laptop all you'd really need to get is a keyboard and the apps. Office² HD is a cheaper alternative to the pricey Apple apps. keyboard and Office² HD would be well under $100.

only using an ipad would not work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.