Is it possible to use an iphone 2g/3g/3gs without data plan?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Penryn Pun, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Penryn Pun macrumors newbie

My family is on an existing At&t family plan and I'm going to upgrade to an iphone 4 from my current iphone 2g. My dad on the other hand wants an iphone but he has no use for internet and does not want to pay monthly for the data plan. Right now I'm the only one on the family plan with a data plan, my dad's sim doesn't have data plan. I'm planning to give him my iphone 2g or buy him an iphone 3g or 3gs on craigslists. I was wondering if he put his sim card into my iphone 2g or into iphone 3g or 3gs, could he use it without paying for the data plan? I'm having a hard time figuring out how At&t would even know he's using an iphone? Also would jailbreaking or unlocking it make a difference? I've read in a previous post that redsn0w would bypass the forced data plan and only iphone 2g remains undetectable allowing you to use it without data plan. Can anyone confirm this?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Only on the 2G is possible until you account get a "human" review for any other reason, then they will add the correct plan. All other phone the "System" will add the data plan as soon as the SIM car reports the ECID to the network.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The iphone's IMEI number is transmitted to AT&T.
    I've read in other posts that the original doesn't get the automatic add. As long as your dad doesn't call for help on the iphone, they won't know he has one. YMMV.
    You could also stick your dad on T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid. The prepaid doesn't require a data plan.
    $15/month is too much for your dad to afford?

4. Penryn Pun thread starter macrumors newbie

We're on a family plan so if he were to change to T-Mobile, that means our whole family would also and then I wouldn't be able to use internet on my iphone without A&T data plan. It would cost more to open a new single line on T-Mobile too. Also why would he switch to prepaid? Our family plan is only $10 per additional line.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

T-mobile or AT&T pre-paid are about the only ways to avoid automatic data plan add. If you're not willing to do either, then suck it up and pay the $15/month.

6. crawsfire macrumors member

There are a lot more options than T-mobile or AT&T pre-paid.
    These are the providers that I know of that you can use their sim cards in an iphone without a data plan and without being jailbroken and unlocked because they use the AT&T network:
    Pure Prepaid
    Pure TalkUSA
    7-11 Speak Out wireless (be careful some use sprint and some AT&T)
    Consumer Cellular
    GTC wireless
    Jolt Wireless
    Locus Mobile (be careful some use Verizon and some AT&T)
    TracFone (be careful they use multiple providers including AT&T)
    On the providers that use multiple networks you have to use the right zip code to get an AT&T sim.
    Personally, on the phones I do not want data plans on I use Pure TalkUSA. You can by a Sim only with minutes that rollover for $10 and as little as $10 a month to keep it going.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

My mistake. I didn't realize there were that many GSM providers of pre-paid. However, it doesn't look as if my suggestions or your list is going to make the OP happy.

8. lazyboy006 macrumors newbie

im in almost exactly the same position as the OP. my dad is inheriting my sisters old iphone 2g.

so from what i can understand, if he puts in the sim card from his nonsmartphone it should work without a data because they do not monitor the 2g?

also, switching carriers or to ATT prepaid is not an option because he is the primary user of the minutes in our family plan.

thanks.