Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I do not know much about Android but I understand that it is possible to download for instance the map of a city and use it later when offline?

Is it possible to do the same with the new Maps app of iOS 6?

I travel 2 - 3 times a year to Europe where I do not have a data connection. It would be nice to be able to download a map ahead of time.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Loading Maps offline has always been somewhat possible for years.

You have to open up maps and search a city, zoom in and out slowly and kind of browse around. The iPhone keeps all the information cashed and when you go offline, you can still search where you have already browsed, but not new locations (that part will require a data connection).

I tried this on my iPod touch and iPad and went for a walk to a near by park, Maps loaded with no connection.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Because the maps are vector, they cache a lot at once. I think it was around the size of California that it could cache?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Because the maps are vector, they cache a lot at once. I think it was around the size of California that it could cache?

I can't lay my hand on the link now... but I read one test where it appeared to cache everything along a wide swathe along a selected route. The author mapped a route from San Francisco to Los Angeles, then turned off data and it worked the whole way.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Under ideal circumstances, it might save that much, but most of it would only be the major roadways.

You also can not use maps to route offline... unless it's already routed before it was disconnected.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Under ideal circumstances, it might save that much, but most of it would only be the major roadways.

You also can not use maps to route offline... unless it's already routed before it was disconnected.

I just tried it. I got maybe 1/8 of California, which is still pretty impressive. I thought I read somewhere that it could do all of California, but I could be mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.