Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I want to use about 20-40 GB of my internal HD (i'll have 80 gb left) as a virtual time machine disk for my apps and home folder.

This seems like a good idea to me. You never know when you're going to need to go back in time. With this, I've always got something to lean on. I'll still use my External HD for a complete backup as well.

deboni

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Oakland, CA
Time machine, internal, and external

Normally, I'd say, don't back up to the same physical drive; if it dies, you'll lost just as completely as if you had no backup at all.

But your situation is a tad more complicated, as you say you're backing up to an external drive, too. If that external drive were big enough - say 1.5 times the size of the internal, or more - I'd say switch tactics and use the external as the Time Machine target. But I understand your desire to have two backups, so I'd say one strategy is about as good as the other.

Personally, I do it as follows:

1) one partition on internal drive
2) one larger TM target external drive
3) one other external for clone backups, just in case
4) coming soon - a Time Capsule to use as another Time Machine target

I'll undoubtedly change my mind and mess with things further as time goes on, but that's just me.

You can't have too many backup devices, unless things are so complex for you that you get confused about what is where; that can cause you to accidentally overwrite new stuff with old. Don't ask how I know this.

Bottom line: disk space is cheap; buy more and be safer.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.