Is it possible to use the iPad as a backup(TimeMachine) device for laptop

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by maxarbos, Nov 5, 2010.

1. maxarbos macrumors newbie

Hello,

Is it possible to use the iPad as a backup device through time machine to backup my macbook to?

I would imagine that they both need to be on the same wifi network or through bluetooth

thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

We don't see using an iPad for Time Machine taking off right now...

3. maxarbos thread starter macrumors newbie

'We' who?
    This would be great mainly to back up user account into and selected dirs. I dont see it as a means to backup the entire computer (apps, music, movies, etc..) but things like your local files, user prefs, etc.. would all be great to be able to backup to the iPad.

I guess my question is more to 'why isnt it possible?'. Many people are going to have both and the pad has a large drive... so why not?

4. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

It was a joke, he was taking the **** out of Steve Jobs (and rightly so) who said that: "We don't see USB 3.0 taking off at this time."

5. maxarbos thread starter macrumors newbie

:) oh ok... :D

I thought this was maybe a topic that has been covered to death here.

SJ does know what's best for us. Maybe I should stop asking questions.

Thanks.

6. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Why in the world would you want to use a $500 + device for TM backup? Why not jet get an inexpensive external HDD and be done with it?

7. maxarbos thread starter macrumors newbie

because i dont want to carry another device to backup a relatively small amount of data. If there is room on my iPad, why shouldnt I be able to use it for that?

especially through BT would be nice.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Even if you could do backups to an iPad with Time Machine, Bluetooth could never handle the data flow and bandwidth needed to make it work. Not to mention it would kill the battery right quick and you'd likely fill a 64GB iPad up quick fast and in a hurry.

9. maxarbos thread starter macrumors newbie

:) ..
    ok, adhoc network would be fine too.
    if that's not possible, fine... i'll take it in USB 3 then ;)

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

Time machine backs up your entire computer, most people use at least a 500gb drive for this because it backs up every hour so it takes space quickly. The iPad is to small to get the job done. It doesn't just backup preferance files. Also as someone else said if you used the ipad for this then it would kill the battery on it very quickly. Also you can't do anything over wifi with it so even if you got it to work it would be USB only. The idea of using a time capsule to backup your ipad makes more sense but even then they would need to do wireless syncing which maybe will be there with iphone 5 it would be there already if you ask me because cables suck

11. xraytech, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

xraytech macrumors 68020

Oops!! Double post.

12. xraytech macrumors 68020

Time Machine does not work that way. It takes an image of your whole drive and incrementally backs up after that. The iPad is way to small to do what you are suggesting. Just get a 500GB USB drive, those things are tiny.

13. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

If you use a backup device at your home that is connected in some way to the internet you could look into VPN or something similar to backup from wherever you have a connection.

14. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Look into Dropbox.

15. StephanBer1 macrumors newbie

What a great line! I see a market in t-shirts in your future. :)

I like my iPad. Wait, no... I LOVE my iPad. It's great at what it does, but as many of us tend to do... We always want what's best for us, not what's best for the stuff that we buy. It's not the point that we're asking, "Why the heck would you want to back up your stuff to your iPad?" it should be more, "Well... Why can't he?"

The answer is... Why can't he? There should be a better solution than having to zip file all his things he wants to keep safe, then email it to himself, then download it onto his iPad for safe keeping. I understand the point of Apple wanting to make sure we have the best experience that we can have with our devices... But actually STOPPING us from being able to make our own lives miserable seems... I dunno. A little too over the top.

I (for one) was shocked to hear you can't connect it to a mouse without hacking it. In their own store, Apple sells a great little stand that would make the iPad a neat little mini desktop computer. Drop it in, add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (and get the damn on screen keyboard to stop popping up when it knows it's got a keyboard hooked up to it) and Voila! Instant mini workstation. There's been lots of times that I've started an email on the iPad and had to finish or edit it on a computer, which really takes the fun out of trying to actually do some 'work' on the iPad.

Flash? I get flash. I can't stand it, it's one of the least friendly plug-ins that I've encountered, and I'm sure that if it was on the iPad, you could watch a video on one side of the iPad and fry an egg on the other. But still. If I'm craving some online content... And breakfast at the same time... It's my damn iPad. Heck... I could even agree to a 'Don't make Breakfast on your iPad' clause in the Apple Care?

Being able to share your computer screen on the iPad, connecting it to the network for easy file transfers, coming out with a more practical (dare I say the word, 'conventional') way to edit, create and save office documents... All things the iPad should be able to do in theory, but that it doesn't.

In answer to this one... I'd have to go with the masses. For now. Doing a Time Machine Backup to your iPad doesn't make any sense, which is why you can't. :rolleyes:

Instead, get your hands on a 16GB thumb drive and do a mini Time Machine backup on it. I skipped the applications, and all my music, videos and movies, but for the $45 dollars I spent on it, It's nice to know I have a pretty much bullet-proof backup of my most important stuff. It's fairly fast too, once it gets going.

16. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i think the reason to a lot of what you said there is that SJ doesn't want the iPad impeding on MBP sales. If people could get an ipad, a blue tooth keyboard and maybe a trackpad with all the proposed power you stated no-one would buy the macbook, or the macbook air when they could get something pretty similar for much cheaper. If you want those kind of options you get an MBA and you'll be happy with it dammit. :p

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

Time Machine doesn't work that way. Time Machine has to make an image a the whole HD then do incremental backups after that. Unless you're running OSX Lite, 16GB thumb drive will not work with Time Machine.

18. StephanBer1 macrumors newbie

Actually... All I want to be able to do is drop the thing into an upright stand and have it go into a mini 'workstation' mode. It can already connect to the Apple bluetooth keyboard, it already nicely fits into the desktop stand Apple's already selling for the iPad in their stores, and you can already easily 'hack' a mouse into the iPad. So all we really need is a tweak to the iOS just enough to say, "Okay. Mouse, check. Keyboard, check." It would then disable the onboard keyboard from popping up, have a cursor appear, and accept commands from both the mouse and the touchscreen.

Bang. Just like that, I (and all those others like me) no longer having to let out a sigh when I find I have to boot up my computer just in order to finish an email... tweak a document... Or submit a particularly long forum post. ;)

I even see more iPad sales coming out of it and a whole new slew of Apps, designed more for a 'desktop' then a handheld. My theory is that if it could, then it SHOULD. No one who buys an iPad is going to think it can now do HD video editing and Adobe CS5 just because you dropped it into a $30 stand and put a keyboard next to it. The iPad has got to be one of the most generic and fully customizable 'naked' basic computing devices we've ever seen. It's not the device that makes it do what we want it to do, it's the apps that do that for us. We've got the fun aspect of it, let's put the thing to work now.

Heck. I even have the new commercial for it nailed down as well! Follow in the footsteps of the new Nano, and have it morph from one user to another, except have it morph from being a handheld, to a coffee table accessory (who doesn't LOVE that TV guide App?!) then back to a handheld, then to the desk stand (with the fancy Apple bluetooth keyboard/magic mouse/bluetooth trackpad being well displayed) and then back to being a handheld.

I see the iPad's overall biggest hurdle is being in too much of a 'niche' market. Broaden that out, appeal to a larger market, have it do more things. I cannot tell you how many people have asked me why I got an iPad, that they see it being far too gimmicky and that they don't see it as having much practicality. These are not the kinds of people that run into the Apple store to buy a Mac instead of an iPad, these are the kinds of people that just stay out of the Apple store altogether. So... if it's a simple tweak to the iOS is all you need to add some desktop qualities to it and appeal to that larger market... Show the world, "Yes, it's fun. AND it's practical..." In my opinion, you just nailed it.

If anything, it's not a Mini touchscreen MacBook Air without the keyboard, it's a Mini touchscreen iMac.

Hmmm.... :cool:

Besides. It's simple math. $499 (base iPad) plus $69 (keyboard) plus $69 (mouse/trackpad) plus $30 (stand) plus $30 (suitable/desired desktop and handheld Apps) and do that enough times and BAM. You're lugging another billion dollars to the bank, stock goes up, Microsoft scratches head. Again.

19. sp86 macrumors newbie

That's what I thought!

20. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i must say i totally agree with what you're saying, i can see why people would want that from the iPad. for me personally i like the iPad because i can get by with just the iPad, i don't need any extras when using it. if i do then i have my Macbook or my iMac. i sometimes think that either Apple don't quite grasp how powerful of a device the iPad could be by implementing some fo the things you suggested or they have a different idea to how us as customers want to use the device.

21. StephanBer1 macrumors newbie

Hey xray;

Actually, it does. After you configure your drive, click on 'options'. You'll then see a little '+' and '-' sign in the bottom lefthand corner. Click on the '+' and you'll be able to exclude everything and anything you don't want or need on your backup. I (for one) don't need to have iLife '11 on my Time Machine Backup as it's a simple re-install right from a flash drive. Even with iLife '11 and virtually EVERYTHING else on my hard drive (I keep everything I truly care about on a 1TB network drive, but I do keep about 100 documents, a few CD's and about 500 photos on my hard drive) I only need 18.91GB of space to do a full backup... Not very far away from 16GB. ;)

And... By OSX 'lite' do you mean... Did I install every single language that's on the disc (that I'll never learn) and drivers for every single printer (that I'll never own?) then the answer is yes. Guess I'm running 10.6.4 'lite'. :cool:

That 'customize' button is your friend, my friend. Try it with your next reinstall. You'll like it. ;)