Is it possible... (to use Time Machine to move files)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ayeying, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I currently have a MacBook air, OSX installed to how I like it with my preferences and such. Is it possible for me to back up this drive using time machine, then install the time machine back up on a new MBP (I'm seriously considering getting one right now) and still make it work? I've tried it several times restoring using the same computer but not with a different one.

Any ideas?

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

I'm not sure, since the MBA might have a slightly different version of Mac OS X (for all the Disk Sharing and stuff).
    However, you might want to try this:

Get an external hard drive.
    Clone your MBA drive to it, using SuperDuper, thus creating a bootable clone.
    Attach it to a MBP and try to boot from it and see what's happening.

Maybe someone has tried that (MBA to MBP move) already, I'm just guessing.

Hope it was helpful, however.

/Rupert

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I know (not 100% sure) that its somewhat impossible for a MB (all gen)/MBP (all but the newest) to move to the MBA due to different builds of OSX... but I'm wondering for the newest MBP since they're virtually the same hardware.

Furthermore, I don't have a MBP to test with.. right now.. but ya.

4. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

when you go through the initial welcome & setup after you do the first startup, why don't you just import everything from your time machine backup. that should work.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

6. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

but without a firewire port it will want to do it over ethernet, which on the MBA is done through a usb-ethernet adapter. so if time machine is on a usb hard drive, you might as well just do it from there. if time machine is on a wireless or networked drive then do migration assistant through the ethernet.

7. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I've never used that feature... or the time machine import feature. Only restore and stuff. Aren't you technically installing a new OS then importing a few settings located in the /users/ folder? I have a few stuff through the root directory library that I want to be migrated too.. would the migration assistant do that?

8. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

i don't think that any native apple solution would move those files. That is out side of the scope of what the migration assistant or time machine was meant for. You may want to try it and see if it works. If not, you can try cloning you drive to another mac or just manually move things from the system library over.