Is it possible to view publicly published Google Calendar events in iCal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by infobleep, Jan 3, 2011.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Hi there

I belong to a club and shortly they are moving to Google Calendar as a way of publishing their events on-line. From what I have read else where, it is possible for them to publish their events publicly, so that they are searchable and anyone can add them to their own Google calendar.

Would it then be possible for me to view their public Google calendar in iCal? If not, could I achieve the same out come by setting up my own intermediate Google Calendar, which took the clubs feed, and then use iCal to view that? I don't wish to share information back, just add their info to my own calendar automatically. So that if an event is added/deleted or changed, my calendar is automatically updated when I view it.

Kind regards

2. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply DewGuy1999.

The problem with that method is that it requires me to own the calendar in question and have login details for it. However the calendar is run by a club I belong to, so those details are not made public and nor should they be or any one could maliciously update the calendar.

Yesterday the calendar went live so I intend to run some tests this week, to see if I can at least link it to an intermediate Google calendar that I own.

Kind regards

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Maybe something here will be more appropriate:

Google Calendar › Help articles › Sharing and invitations › Share your calendar › Basics › Share your calendar

You can also subscribe to another person/group's Calendar with iCal rather than sync. One of the options on that help page will allow you to do this, I currently do this between a personal Google Calendar and my iCal version 2.0.5, that doesn't support syncing with Google Calendars like the newer iCal does. I can't change or add anything via iCal, but I can view it, and it does update when the Google Calender gets updated. It's been a few years since I set it up but I believe I followed the directions under [URL="http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=41208]Share with people who don't use Google Calendar[/URL]" and used the Private iCal URL. Good Luck. HTH

4. infobleep, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply. I figured it out in the end and found out how to share. It's a button with the ical link info, under the settings.

I have also now been given access to the club calendar so that I can add events. As a result I have been finding recently that events I entered into my own calendar are appearing on the club calendar. It appeared to be intermittent with only a few events appearing but it of course wasn't.

1. My Internet connection is off - e.g. I'm not at home
    2. I have the club calendar selected in the list in iCal
    3. I create an event which was meant for my general Calendar
    4. I edit the event and change its calendar to my general calendar
    5. I connect to the Internet
    6. The events I mistakenly created in the club calendar then get sync to Google, despite the fact I changed their calendar to become my general calendar.
    7. The event also remains on my general calendar so I know have the event duplicated twice.
    8. This behaviour is also possible if you create an event whilst on-line and go to edit it before iCal has resynced with Google.

None of this is very satisfactory because it's very easy to be on the wrong calendar by mistake when creating an event whilst off-line. Has anyone else noticed this and is Apple likely to be aware of it. If not I'll create a bug report, if someone can tell me where to do so.

Regards

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any first hand knowledge with syncing iCal/Google Calendars, since I'm only using iCal 2.0.5 which doesn't allow syncing. Doesn't seem to make sense that it's mixing up the two, but it could be a bug I suppose. I'm just guessing here, so this may be of no help to you, but do you have an iCal and a Google version of each calendar and are each "linked" to their respective counterparts for syncing?

6. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. No I don't. I only have my Google Calendar listed in my iCal, not the other way round.

However I've since updated my earlier posting because I've figured out what is causing the problem and it seems to be a bug to me.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, I've re-read your other response and the only thing I can think of is maybe that quitting iCal and restarting it before syncing might be beneficial.