Is it possible to write a script, that would cause an action from the pass screen?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by TheEasterBunny, Mar 23, 2013.

1. TheEasterBunny macrumors 6502

Recently I have run across way too many articles on arrests leading to unwarranted search and seizure of data on phones. I am in the US, and most searches need a judge signed warrant, to search, except on phones, emails, or browsing histories.
    Now while the worst law I ever break is going 5 to 10 over the posted speed limit (in my car, motorcycle is another story), I really feel a sense of violation over this policy with others.
    My question is:
    Is there a way to write a script or some other code, that is linked to a specific pass code at the pass screen?
    The idea is, an officer asks for your phone, to search it on a routine stop (very common lately) sees you have the pass-code active, when he legally asks for the pass-code, you have a special one that when entered wipes the phone completely. Of course having a back up at home will fix this.
    I know nothing of programming, or scripts, but this app I would buy!
    This has nothing to do with having things to hide, and everything to do with civil rights and liberties being violated. This same officer needs a warrant to read my postal mail, but not my email? WTF?

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

There is a setting for the pass code feature that wipes the device if you enter the wrong pass code around seven times.

3. TheEasterBunny thread starter macrumors 6502

"Find my iPhone" has a command that will wipe the phone too. If I could just set either to wipe on one specific code that would work too.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This is definitely not possible for an app that would be approved by apple for the App Store. It might be possible on a jail broken device, but I'm not sure how much experience people have on these forums with writing apps they know apple wouldn't ever approve (I, for one, have none.)

5. TheEasterBunny thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. It is JB, but I'm sure Apple would never approve.
    I'm just so sick of reading about peoples privacy and rights being trampled.

6. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Are you obligated in the US to provide the passcode to your phone without a warrant?

I think I would refuse simply on principle, and fight it up to the Supreme Court. My phone contains my private data, and by unlocking it, that data becomes available to anyone. I don't have anything to hide, especially, but this smacks of illegal search and seizure to me.

In answer to your question, there's nothing you can do on a normal iPhone to do something special based on the unlock code you enter. Third party apps don't have that kind of control over the base functionality of the phone.

I don't know if that would be possible on a jailbroken phone however.

7. TheEasterBunny thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, and I know there are some fighting it in court, but in the mean time, I wanted a way to stay in control of my private data and info.
    One thing one poster said was there is a setting that will wipe the phone after so many tries, I looked, its 10 tries!!! Even if I could set that at 2.
    I also have read and found resources for law enforcement to remove data with software. If a person is involved in a crime I can agree with this, but routine stops, minor offenses like the link I put in my original post, are appalling reasons to invade ones privacy. I've spent over an hour on cydia looking for something, so far nada.
    BTW thanks to all that have replied, I appreciate it!

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm pretty sure I have better things to do with my life than argue over such a small thing.

Other ideas for civil disobidience though in these situations:

- Activate some Accessibility features. If you're not familiar with how some of those modes work, it can be really confusing.
    - Turn on single app mode
    - Launch an app that emulates a blanked phone.

IDK, I'm rather non confrontational... I'd rather just evade the police and never have to deal with them - I feel that they tend to behave above the law.