is it possible use dvd player without superdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tarizo41, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tarizo41 macrumors newbie

Hello friends
    I have a macbook pro that has no superdrive. I really like the application "Apple Dvd Player". My question is whether I can play dvd files from the hard drive of my macbook with the apple dvd player or this application only works with units superdrive
    Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It can play Video_TS folders -- just open DVD Player and then you can open the Video_TS from the File menu.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just for reference (I realize that the OP's MBP is running a newer rev of OS X) ...

Older Macs running 10.2 or lower* won't be able to play VIDEO_TS folders because the software didn't support that feature.

In this case, find the newest version of VLC that you can run and use that for VIDEO_TS folders.

Also, the term Superdrive means that it's a DVD-burner and CD-burner. Apples uses the term Combo-Drive for a DVD-player/CD-burner.

* - I'm pretty sure that DVD player starting with 10.3 allowed for VIDEO_TS viewing ... but my memory is sketchy.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

My iMac Sage back in 2000 played DVDs on the internal combo drive (no burner...not even CD!). I am pretty darn sure your friend's computer will play the DVD using the DVD Player software that comes included with every Mac.

Heck, most software you buy these days is provided on a DVD...all computers need to be able to read DVD at this point.

Has he/she never put in a DVD to see if it plays?? That's the easiest solution if there is ever a question about anything...just try it and see.

5. tarizo41 thread starter macrumors newbie

:D OK thanks for your answers but there is a problem: my laptop has no dvd drive physics. So when I try to open the dvd player, it does not detect any drives and closes
    I have a macbok pro 2007 and snow leopard 10.6.2

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Interesting. May I ask why your MBP doesn't have a DVD drive?

Anyways, there's one certain way to do this and one hacky idea that I have no clue to whether it'd work.

1. Use VLC to playback the VIDEO_TS folder. Not as slick as DVD Player app, but it'll work.

2. Can you drill down to the VIDEO_TS folder from Finder and right-click/Open With/DVD Player? Maybe that would keep DVD Player from closing.

Also, perhaps if you had an external DVD drive available, you could see if DVD Player stays open.

In any event, I'm kinda surprised that DVD Player would close. Maybe you could try "trashing" the .plist files for DVD Player.

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

I don't think I have ever opened DVD Player in my life. It just opens when I place a (video) DVD in my drive.

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

If the OP doesn't have a DVD drive, then a DVD would not be readable. I mean, a CD-ROM drive can't and won't read data off a DVD. Just like a DVD drive can't read a BluRay.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

That wasn't what I was getting at. I was under the impression that all Macbook Pros came standard with Superdrives. I was wondering how his MBP doesn't have a Superdrive (or at least a Combo Drive) considering that they have been standard for so long.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

One other way that this will work. Place an alias of the VIDEO_TS folder into your Movies folder. Rename the alias to whatever the movie is.

Hit CMD-ESC to enter Front Row. Go to Movies>Movie Folder>xxx and you'll be able to watch the DVD that way. I'm pretty sure that Front Row leverages DVD Player app, but this'll probably work.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The question here is about playing DVDs from files on the HD -- DVD Player supports this, but apparently DVD player won't run unless it detects a physical DVD drive (superdrive or combo drive -- so does this mean that MBA users can't play DVD Video_TS folders using DVD Player either?). Users of some Macs that installed their own DVD drives may need to use http://patchburn.de to get them to work, too.

So did you hack the DVD drive out of your MBP, or did you break it, or... how did you end up with an MBP and no DVD drive?

That's probably academic, though... just use VLC. It won't care.

12. tarizo41 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi friends
    actually, that is the question. I want toplay a DVD copied to hard disk but dvd player does not work unless it detects a physical DVD drive. My macbook has no superdrive because I have replaced it for a second hard drive (SSD) so I think the dvd player does not work unless it detects a physical drive
    It is a shame because I really like this program

13. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There are a few reasons for this. 1) the DVD drive is dead; I know I can't write with my Superdrive to DVD's anymore. 2) He has a hackintosh. 3) I have heard some people removing the DVD drive and replacing it with another hard drive.

I like option #3 and have considered doing it; it would be nice to have my laptop with 1TB of drive space. :D

But with that being said, I thought that if you drop and dragged the Video_TS folder onto DVDPlayer it will open it and play. I think that is how I got it to work on my machine, but I do have a DVD drive, it just doesn't work right, so maybe that's why mine opens.

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, if VLC doesn't fit the bill OR the drag/drop method doesn't work ...

there's always Front Row or Plex.

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

I apologize...I see that now. :eek:

16. gerabbi macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Air and it has no superdrive built in but I can opena and use DVD Player like you suggest. I'm using SL 10.6.2. Maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe because the MBA is designed to work w/o a superdrive to start with? VLC will work and once you're watching the movie does it matter?