Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys,

I was wondering whether it was possible to downgrade an iphone 3G from 4.3.1 to 3.1.3? This is mostly to get rid of the sluggish performance.

I did google it but a lot of info seemed to be from a while ago (which made me wonder whether anythings changed). I know it used to be possible usong recboot?

Any help appreciated! :confused:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hey guys,

I was wondering whether it was possible to downgrade an iphone 3G from 4.3.1 to 3.1.3? This is mostly to get rid of the sluggish performance.

I did google it but a lot of info seemed to be from a while ago (which made me wonder whether anythings changed). I know it used to be possible usong recboot?

Any help appreciated! :confused:

Just to get clarification;

for 3G, the latest firmware is 4.2.1. How did you manage to put 4.3.1 on to the 3G :confused:

Having said that, if your phone has 4.3.1 IOS, then your Iphone is 3GS and not 3G. If you want to downgrade 3GS firmware, then you need to have shsh blobs save.

For 3G, you do not need shsh blob save for downgrading firmware.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just to get clarification;

for 3G, the latest firmware is 4.2.1. How did you manage to put 4.3.1 on to the 3G :confused:

Having said that, if your phone has 4.3.1 IOS, then your Iphone is 3GS and not 3G. If you want to downgrade 3GS firmware, then you need to have shsh blobs save.

For 3G, you do not need shsh blob save for downgrading firmware.
Oops sorry that was a typo. Thanks labman I'll try that!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
It's a 3G on 4.2.1... original post was a typo. Thanks again!

best bet for you is 3.1.3 as you originally asked. use the link I gave you don't need TU. but you Baseband will not downgrade. Saw in another post from Crystal-RX there is a rare number of 3G Iphone which has bootloader 05.08 can be downgrade the baseband f0recast or TU will help you identify if you are one of the lucky ones. Crystal-RX thanks for the education not up on all my 3G info lol. Crystal-RX I also copied part of you post from the other thread. Want to give proper credit.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.