Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
To buy an iTunes or App store gift card in the UK and have it delivered to the US? Phoned Apple, and the guy said that if I login with my account details using the US site it "Might" work.

Basically it's a present for a friend, anybody tried this? I have an up to date iTunes / App store account.

Last edited:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
"Might" is about right. It can be done, and many people do, but it requires jumping through a few hoops.

Essentially the recipient of a non-local iTunes card will need to log out of their current iTunes account, switch country to that of the card (there's a link down at the bottom of an iTMS page) and create a new account in the country of the card. While setting up the account, you're prompted for a credit card number, but there is a "None" option in the list as well, so they would select that. You do need an in-country mailing address (which isn't checked carefully if you have no credit card on file), for which your friend might use yours.

At that point they can buy music with that card, and when finished switch back to their native account. The purchased songs of course continue to work fine. (No DRM, but you can authorize a computer for more than one iTunes account even if there were.)

This is all assuming that you're doing this so that your friend can buy things not listed on their local iTMS; if it's just due to you not living in the same country, you'd do better to order one from a US store online and have it direct shipped to your friend.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
That's Way To Complicated!

"Might" is about right. It can be done, and many people do, but it requires jumping through a few hoops.

Essentially the recipient of a non-local iTunes card will need to log out of their current iTunes account, switch country to that of the card (there's a link down at the bottom of an iTMS page) and create a new account in the country of the card. While setting up the account, you're prompted for a credit card number, but there is a "None" option in the list as well, so they would select that. You do need an in-country mailing address (which isn't checked carefully if you have no credit card on file), for which your friend might use yours.

At that point they can buy music with that card, and when finished switch back to their native account. The purchased songs of course continue to work fine. (No DRM, but you can authorize a computer for more than one iTunes account even if there were.)

This is all assuming that you're doing this so that your friend can buy things not listed on their local iTMS; if it's just due to you not living in the same country, you'd do better to order one from a US store online and have it direct shipped to your friend.

I wanted to buy it as a gift for him. I will contact my Apple guy today and buy it through them, It's not about stuff he can't get (He is in the States) just a gift for a buddy.

Want it so he gets the card, and just clicks "Redeem" so he can get what he wants. Thanks for the information though....The :apple: route would seem to be best!

smithemma

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
I wanted to buy it as a gift for him. I will contact my Apple guy today and buy it through them, It's not about stuff he can't get (He is in the States) just a gift for a buddy.

Want it so he gets the card, and just clicks "Redeem" so he can get what he wants. Thanks for the information though....The :apple: route would seem to be best!

That's right Macman!
signature_couponcodes.jpg

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Turns Out

You can't do it. Due to currency and Apples security policies....ITunes guy explained it all in great detail, but then suggested I get someone in the States to do it for me.....Security! Yeah. Right.

He also said that he takes dozens of calls from people who want to do the same thing.....I will have to find another way I guess.

vivektanwar

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
Delhi
Online store to Get App

Online App for Apple through couponsbag online with coupons and Apple online discount deals. Many user used banifits and functionality of all types of Apps here.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.