Is it possible?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaBoy85, Dec 1, 2018.

1. AlphaBoy85 macrumors regular

Hi,

I just bought a 2017 MBP, it came with High Sierra. My question is, I have a Time Machine backup of Yosemite or El Capitan (Sorry, I don't really remember!) from my old 2012 MBP that I would like to "install" on my 2017 MBP; is that possible?

Thanks!

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Unlikely because the drivers would be missing which may cause the MacBook to hang at the boot screen.

3. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, that's a bummer!

I have my old HD, can I access the content stored inside if I bought an HD case/housing and connect it to my new machine?

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

5. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

6. leman macrumors G3

You can migrate the data to your new computer from the Time Machine backup, if that is what you are asking. If the question is whether you can install the older OS from the backup, it has been correctly answered as negative.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The oldest version of macOS you can install is the version that came with it, when you bought the Mac. The reason being, with newer chipsets apple doesn't update the legacy operating systems. Your device drivers, kexts that are needed for the newer chipsets are missing from the older Macs.

The data on the drive is completely accessible, you just cannot boot up the older OS.