Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac.Virgin101, May 7, 2010.

1. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

To wirelessly network 2 home use computers? A brand new MBP and a brand new iMac(not purchased yet)?

Within the year my boyfriend and I will have 2 Macs in our apartment and I'm wondering if its possible to network them so that transferring of any data is easier (ie a movie on my computer could be watched on his or vice versa).

Any suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

Either one Mac creates its own network
    [​IMG]
    and has File Sharing enabled
    or you use a wireless router to connect the two Macs to the internet thus they are on the same network, so they can see each other if Sharing is enabled.

It seems, you are new to Mac OS X and computers, thus also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Not a problem.

Your challenge is deciding between wired, wireless, or if you want the internet in there too.

If you want both machines access to the internet, miles01110 is correct, you need a router, wired or wireless (though wired-only ones are rare these days).

If you want to transfer stuff from one machine to the other, all you need really is an ethernet cable. Plug one right into the other. You'll then need to log in to the other through the Finder Menu Item "Go:Network" and you'll need to know the other person's User ID and Password.

If you want to do that wirelessly, well, let's start easy with the wire first :)

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Once they are on the same local network, they will both appear in the Finder as "Shared" computers. You'll be able to log in to the other machine and transfer files back and forth, as well as remotely control the other computer if you set that up.