Is it powerful enough to last multiple OSX updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ByteTheBooty, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

I know nothing about those Core M chip...or any other chips... I need a MacBook that will last me 4years, I set a goal to myself to stick with a Mac product for 4 year because I spend every ounce of my money on Apple products..

So is this computer powerful enough to use the most current OS without any major lag?? (like with iOS8 on iPhone 4 for example)

And if there and the chip and computer isn't suited for me, would a rMBP last 4 years in great condition?

2. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

No.

This is NOT designed for power. This is a hybred tablet / MB Air for light use and lots of wifi and travel. Stay pro.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'll get back to you when I'm using it to get work done.

4. powersteer macrumors member

This to me, is the greatest concern.
    8GB is enough memory onboard, but we will have to wait till proper testings have been completed before we are even sure Core-M can be smooth on Yosemite running a retina screen.

Even then, how many new OS revisions is it gonna last before turning laggy?

5. djbuu macrumors member

This comment is basically trash. Yosemite supports even the MacBook Air from 2008. It stands to reason the next OSX will be supported by a computer made in 2015.

The Macbook is not a hybrid tablet. Be the very definition of the word, it's not a tablet.

Please stop spreading trash.

6. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

let's be honest, the new macbook is a netbook, it should support Yosemite now, but next few? I don't know.

other reviews of similar processors are very very disappointment.

so let's wait for benchmark first before calling anyone's comment "trash"

7. BrettApple, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I have a Mid 2007 iMac. It is going to be 8 years old this August. It shipped with OS X Tiger and is running Yosemite.

The 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo in it benchmarks at less than half of what the new MacBook's Core M does. It also has half the RAM installed.

And you know what, it still does work. Granted, I did put an SSD in it.

I'm pretty sure the new MacBook will at least last 5 years into the future as I expect ANY new mac to do. Integrated graphics have vastly improved from where they were (GMA 950/X3100 I'm looking at you), and the architecture is pretty much the same as any other Intel chip capabilities wise. I don't think it will be an issue going forward.

Compare my 2007 iMac to my 2005 iBook G4. Both shipped with Tiger, one only got a single OS X upgrade to Leopard, and the other is still going 8 years later.

With the current tech out there, I'd expect nothing less than 5 years of OS X updates. Hopefully more like 6-7. 8 Just seems like a bonus, but why stop there? I'd love to see our iMac get the next OS X, if possible. Yosemite runs quite smooth and fluid for the age of the Mac. And especially for something that has ran 7 versions of OS X.

There are some benchmarks for the 1.1 GHz Core M out there. Here's a quick chart comparing it with the CPU in my iMac and rMBP I'm using (Late 2013). It isn't that much worse than the i5, but also over 2x faster than the iMac, as it should be. Keep in mind this iMac runs Photoshop, Aperture, iMovie, Office/iWork, web browsers, iTunes and the like perfectly fine. I used to use FCP on it too. If this ancient iMac can handle it, I'm sure the new MacBook will be alright. But it's not quite so likely to be used for heavy lifting in the first place.

[​IMG]

8. djbuu macrumors member

The original MacBook Air is supported by Yosemite. That's 5 OS versions on what was universally considered an overpriced and underpowered computer... IN 2008!!

I don't need a benchmark to tell me anything. The comment is trash. I can use common sense to determine what seems to be out of grasp for many. This MacBook will be useful for years to come.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The original 2008 MacBook Air officially maxes out at Lion 10.7.5 due to its use of 32-bit EFI. However, the second generation (also released in 2008) is still supported by Yosemite.

I'm sure the Retina MacBook will be supported for years to come.

10. djbuu macrumors member

I stand corrected. But the point I'm making is still correct.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This is a great advantage of Macs! I like how far mobile devices come, but for the love of god smartphones/tablets pretty much stop receiving updates after a few years .That's one thing that really bugs me.

12. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Sure, should last minimum of 3 years. It's not the greatest laptop, but it's still going to last a while. It has 8GB of RAM, and since it's fanless I suppose it means that they've designed it air-tight? Perhaps not, but, it's still a fairly okay computer.