Is it really dead? Hard drive goes quick and silent.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by decksnap, Apr 27, 2009.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

My computer started beachballing, and eventually became unresponsive. Waited a few minutes, and then decided to do a hard restart. Just like that, the hard drive is gone, vanished. I have a second bootable drive that it eventually booted to, but my main drive fell off the face of the earth. Is it really dead from just that? It won't show up in Techtool or Disk utility.

It is a three month old Seagate Barracuda, that has made no odd noises or acting up until now. This just feels so....swift. And cold. I am sad. :mad:

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Sounds dead. Probably the logic board on the drive rather than any problem on the platters.

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

If that were the case (I don't know anything about this stuff) Is the data retrievable?

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Yep. There are firms that do that for ya, though generally pricey. I had a friend who once bought a second drive, unscrewed the logic boards and swapped them, and recovered a drive. Your mileage may vary, though.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Very expensive. Last I checked, it worked out to ~$4kUSD /drive (1TB). Granted, it quoted as part of a RAID set, and would be more expensive.

I recall a recent conversation where a single drive (same capacity) went for $2500USD.

I'd consider myself extremely lucky if it were only the controller board. :) To me, finding a working version of the same drive could be the hard part, depending on the age and model.

6. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks guys- as I said it is pretty much a brand new drive, so finding the same drive should be easy. Is there any way to tell/confirm if it is the controller board and not the file system or the drive mechanics?

7. cmaier macrumors G3

I don't know of a way to tell. It smells like it to me, because it died within a few months of you getting it, and because there were no warning signs (SMART errors, clicking noises, etc.)

But, again, it's only a guess.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not really, unless you've a test bench at your disposal. :p

Grabbing another identical drive and doing a board swap may be something to consider. Certainly cheaper than sending it off to a data recovery center, but no guarantee it would work. But your description does appear its a likely suspect.

9. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Just posting more symptoms in case anybody has any more ideas....

When I put this drive in the second bay of my MacPro at work, it won't even boot to the first main drive. Holding down option at bootup gives me the icon for my main drive, but after selecting it, it give me the 'no' symbol (like ghostbusters)

Any idea why that might be?

10. iamlars macrumors newbie

Hi (first post here, been reading around for a while but registered to post in here)

This could likely a firmware problem that is present on some Seagate and Maxtor drives. I had it occur on a Maxtor drive that I hadn't used yet (lucky it didn't happen to the other one I was using)

Have a look at this thread on the seagate website, it'll have links for stuff. http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=4771

I applied the update to my non failed drive (after backing up the data) and it worked without a problem. However you can't do that once the drive is no longer detected.

I also recall reading that seagate offered some kind of service for data recovery in the US, but don't remember what it was exactly of if it still applies.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

At 3 months of age for the drive, I presumed the firmware was the newer version that solved the problem. :eek: At least according to Seagate. ;) :p

12. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

OK well it might have been four+ months. That forum suggests that the firmware wasn't released until about mid january. I already owned it by then.

Thanks for the link, I will keep reading it. However the more I read, the deeper the pit in my stomach grows. :mad:

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least Seagate will give you a link to it if you request it. Better than it was before, when it was "What problem?!?". :rolleyes: :mad:

Seagate's customer support has definitely declined, even for the enterprise line. They were affected as well, just not quite the same way, and to a lesser extent. Probably only due to the difference in units sold though. :p

14. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Hello iamlars- I want to thank you again for your input and that link. I found on page 10 or something on that forum, this: (And using the serial checker, it applies to my drive.) Hope is alive!!!

Seagate offers fix, free data recovery for bricked Barracudas
    by Cyril Kowaliski — 3:54 PM on January 16, 2009
    Well, how about that. Seagate has acknowledged the bricking issue surrounding Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives, and it's trying to make things right by offering a firmware fix and data recovery services. Here's the full statement we received from company spokesman Mike Hall:

Seagate has isolated a potential firmware issue in certain products, including some Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives and related drive families based on this product platform, manufactured through December 2008. In some circumstances, the data on the hard drives may become inaccessible to the user when the host system is powered on*.
    As part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, we are offering a free firmware upgrade to those with affected products. To determine whether your product is affected, please visit the Seagate Support web site at http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931.

Support is also available through Seagate's call center: 1-800-SEAGATE (1 800 732-4283)

Customers can expedite assistance by sending an email to Seagate (discsupport@seagate.com). Please include the following disk drive information: model number, serial number and current firmware revision. We will respond, promptly, to your email request with appropriate instructions. There is no data loss associated with this issue, and the data still resides on the drive. But if you are unable to access your data due to this issue, Seagate will provide free data recovery services. Seagate will work with you to expedite a remedy to minimize any disruption to you or your business.

For a list of international telephone numbers to Seagate Support and alternative methods of contact, please access http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/

*There is no safety issue with these products.

The free data recovery for already-bricked hard drives seems like a nice touch, especially considering the cost of third-party services. According to the knowledge base entry, though, the issue may affect a fairly large number of drive models—not just the 1TB four-platter drive we talked about earlier this week. Seagate recommends that users with 1.5TB, 750GB, 640GB, 500GB, 320GB, and 160GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives, along with some Maxtor and ES.2 models, all install the firmware update.

Update: Seagate has amended its statement to remove the following sentence: "Retail products potentially affected include the Seagate FreeAgent® Desk and Maxtor OneTouch® 4 storage solutions." We've put up the new statement above.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

16. iamlars macrumors newbie

No problem. It was something I managed to stumble upon when I was trying to figure out if there was some way to make my drive live again before I did an RMA. I'm glad it may prove helpful for you data. :D

17. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

I am sending in to Seagate. The fellow told me that they will 'flash it in their clean room' and that not only will all of my data be intact, they will do it for free in a week's time.

I'll let you know how that actually goes, but I am feeling much better right about now. :)