Is it really dumb to purchase a mac pro now?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Josh-H, Sep 28, 2008.

  1. Josh-H macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    #1
    I know the rumour is 'January' for the announcement of a mac pro update - fair enough - and historically, the rumour is probably pretty accurate.

    My question is - is it really stupid to drop $5,000 - $6,000 Australian [say around 3-4k US] on a mac pro this close to an update?

    I do 'need' it for my photography - but at the same time.. I could probably live without it - life would just be much nicer with it :)

    So I am sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place with the purchase. On the one hand buying now means a stable well tested machine. But on the other hand.. a new faster machine in 4 months or so.

    I guess the real question is - will the mac pro drop in price prior to an update to sweeten the deal?

    BTW: I am not indicisive with my purchase...
    I just cant make up my mind :D
     
  2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #2
    If you can't make up your mind, then you should wait. If you don't really "need" it, wait for the updates.
     
  3. madfresh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #3
    If you do not need to update, just wait. The current Mac Pros could use a better graphic card, and they still do not have an option for a blu-ray drive. I'd say wait for updates as you may have buyer's remorse if you buy now.
     
  4. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #4
    I wouldn't wait, I don't think there is much they could do to it by January. I know everyone says Nehalem, but I really doubt it. It'll probably get a minor speed bump.
     
  5. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #5
    What is there to doubt? The same thing happened last year.
     
  6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

    AppleNewton

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Location:
    1 Finite Place
    #6
    as there are never accurate proofs to updates, just speculation.
    there are no (publicly) determined specs or information regarding it at all...noone knows anything about it on the outside.

    Id presume a spring 2009 Apr/May/June refresh at the earliest.


    If you need it, get it.
    if not get a refurb imac from the apple store for the time being, always great values and nice deals.
     
  7. Bwa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Location:
    Boston & San Jose
    #7
    I waited for 8 months for the current Mac Pros, which in hindsight was too long, but I was convinced that new ones would be out "any day now". I also waited 8 months before buying a 30" Apple display--I was hoping for a price change, spec change--something--anything! 8 months later, they still are the same. I am glad I am not still waiting.

    I wouldn't wait if you're using the computer to make money.
     
  8. pawn3d macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2008
    #8
    Displays don't depreciate as fast as computers do. 30 in is still 30 in. ;)
     
  9. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #9
    I would wait. :)
    Nehalem looks to be well worth it. :D
     
  10. grue macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Somewhere.
    #10
    30" with one type of video input and second rate contrast, refresh, and other specs.
     
  11. sushi Moderator emeritus

    sushi

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    キャンプスワ&#
    #11
    There will always be newer and greater hardware down the pike.

    You'll hear comments similar to don't upgrade now because X or Y will be available in the next version. Usually this is speculation. Nobody knows for sure.

    Also, when new systems are released, there is usually a month or so delay before you can actually purchase the item.

    The old adage of buy want you need now is good advice. If you need it, then buy it. If you don't then wait.
     
  12. Josh-H thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    #12
    Ih what respect?

    I need to understand what it brings to the table that I couldnt have now.

    Thanks.
     
  13. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

    bigbossbmb

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Pasadena/Hollywood
    #13
    They are getting rid of the FSB which, from what I've read, will give RAM a direct connection to the CPUs... so pretty much any RAM intensive task will get a major speed bump.
     
  14. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #14
    There is nothing to speculate on except the price. The benchmarks are out there, the performance is up there. :p
     
  15. Haqq macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
    #15
    Just wait it out should be out before holidays...
     
  16. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location:
    Warminster, PA
    #16
    If you NEED it, buy it! Don't turn away projects since your computer can't handle it. If you need it , just get it. Lost time is lost money.

    The software always lags behind the hardware. The current MP will last a few years at least. i7 will be a major change in the chips, but its not going to edit the pictures for you or cook your dinner. There will always be something amazing on the horizon, so just buy the system. You'll feel like a total fool if you wait, and wait, and wait, then comes January with some pee-on update.

    Time is money.
     
  17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #17
    Well since the OP hasn't made a decision, I'd have to venture and say he doesn't need it. If I really needed something let it be a mouse or a new computer I'd buy it right away regardless of future updates. But if I have to ask around for advice or have trouble biting the bullet and doing it, I'd probably dont need it.
     
  18. sushi Moderator emeritus

    sushi

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    キャンプスワ&#
    #18
    However, we don't know what will actually end up in the new Mac Pro because we don't know what design concept the good engineers at Apple decide to implement.
     
  19. gotzero macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2007
    Location:
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    #19
    I just gave in and got the 8x2.8. My prior desktop was no longer cutting it.

    Some more RAM and two more video cards later, and I am in megapixel and data crunching bliss. I have VMs of both Ubuntu and XP running, and I am finding everything to work splendidly. I am very happy.

    I figure there will be a newer model out soon, maybe a 12 core box, but this one is more then enough power for me for now. If you are getting by without it then you can hold off, but it might be a long winter. I figure leaving mine on will help with the heating bill...
     
  20. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #20
    • QPI will replace FSB, and gives increased bandwidth.
    • DDR3 ECC (up to triple channel)
    • If Apple pairs two chipsets, you get all PCIe slots at PCIe 2.0 x16. Not just electrically.
    • Return of hyperthreading

    Quite a bit of information is now available.
    Here's a couple of quick links..
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=1025
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3326&p=9

    A search or two should reveal much more. ;)
     
  21. osin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #21
    Wouldn't be dumb to wait for a new Mac Pro couple months in believe that it will be faster, more efficient etc than todays configurations and never use its "power"?

    Like others would say: if you need it now - buy it, if you can manage to wait - wait...

    After new MPro will be available for sale you can buy present MPro's as a refurbished for $200-300 less.
     
  22. Michael73 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2007
    #22
    Newer, faster hardware is only good if the software can take advantage of it. Just look at all the posts here about people who have MPs with tons of RAM and CS3 and it's just not optimized for it. Sure, eventually it will but even now a MPs hardware is waaaaay ahead of what most software can use.

    I echo what most people have written. If you need it now get it. Resale on these machines is very good. If you get it and then the new ones come out in 6-12 months and you just have to have one, the marginal cost of ownership won't be that much. Especially, if you can write it off as a business expense.
     
  23. Josh-H thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    #23
    I am happy and ready to buy now - I was just hoping there may be a price drop prior to the release of the new model next year.

    Do apple normally drop the price before a new release?
     
  24. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #24
    No. :(
    You'd do better looking for a refurb, or at least checking other sites, as some do discount slightly from MSRP.
     
  25. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada

Share This Page