Is it really neccessary to get Edge-to-Edge screen protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DaBossIsHere, Dec 18, 2014.

1. DaBossIsHere macrumors regular

A lot of people seem to be getting these on here but my question is if I use, for example my Zagg, will the exposed curved glass get scratched with time? Or people buy the full glass screen protectors because they hate seeing the outline of the Normal screen protector on the phone?

Thanks.

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I don't know about the others but I have never had any screen protector since iPhone 3G.

3. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

There seem to be some people having issues with the coating on the screen getting scratched up easily. I prefer to have it protected. Better safe than sorry :p

4. that be me macrumors 6502

For me it's wanting to feel that awesome swiping sensation from one edge to the other without feeling the edge of the screen protector. All this while still having the screen protected from scratches.

5. Kisey macrumors 6502a

It's 2 things for me: 1) a non edge-to-edge protector looks ugly (to me), and 2) I don't like feeling the edge of the protector when swiping.

6. brucecottonmout macrumors member

I would say that people would like there to not be a lip on the edges of the screen caused by a piece of glass screen protector- so that is why they want the edge - to - edge screen protectors. I, on the other hand, don't use screen protectors, thereby taking care of the problem.

7. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

So people are not getting Edge-to-Edge because of the curved glass getting scratched but for aesthetic purposes mostly?

8. brucecottonmout macrumors member

I would say that that is a safe point to argue.

9. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I had an iLooms screen protector for my 6 plus, but my apple leather case pushes the edge of the screen off.. I ended up having to just remove the iLooms protector. What I think I would like is a screen protector that fits flush with the lip of the apple leather case. I have heard that there is a screen protector that is .3 mm thin. If anyone has a link, I would appreciate it.
    P.

10. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Screen protectors are absolutely not needed on iPhones!

Unless...you are one of those ridiculous users that think that it's someone else's fault when you rub sand on your iPhone, or take it swimming, or press something sharp into the screen like keys in your pocket. In any of these situations it's your fault and not the maker of the phone or the case!

The only things that screen protectors do is to reduce the sensitivity of the excellent iPhone screen and Touch ID.

11. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

maybe if you have a purse with keys, a screen protector is good??

i think a case with a bezel that is at least 1 mm above the screen does more to protect the screen then a screen protector. apple says so, they made that a requirement in made for iPhone cases recently.

i have used screen protectors in the past. i think they are great for preventing scratches and cosmetic damage, but for drops, i think the case does more

i saw a a video of a phone with a sapphire screen, and it showed that the bezel is what protects the phone being dropped face down, and its not the screen

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

These decisions have to do with people's personal risk assessment. And the places and conditions that phones are used within. There is the honeymoon stage where it's all about the phone and it's handled like a Faberge egg. But eventually normal life comes to the forefront and the phone becomes a tool that is beside the point and that is where accidental spills and drops take place.

An example was making a crucial call while racing to make a train. Your're moving with velocity and any misstep could catapult the phone among hard and rough surfaces.

13. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

There's a screen protector that's like the iLoome but covers the bottom of the Touch ID and they say it is 0.3mm thin. I've ordered one, hopefully it arrives soon.

Link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-...ting_LaptopAccessories_RL&hash=item19f8df9ca6

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

For me, the problem is wearing earrings. I use my phone much more for everything else but a phone. But I always say, this time I'm not going to use a screen protector and within the first month, I notice one or two tiny hairline scratches on the screen. These appear in the area where an earring would make contact. So if I don't want scratches, I have some options - stop wearing earrings, use a headset or speaker option all the time or use a screen protector. Usually I'm a pro at putting on protectors with no dust or bubbles. So you really can't even see that one is there. So not the case with my iPhone 6 plus. Due to the design the protectors are totally noticeable and ugly. But I think scratches are uglier.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

One could argue the same with cases. Some will argue that they protect the phone, while others say they are ugly and detract from the beauty of the phone. You will have those that use a case with no screen protector, those that use both, some that use none, and some that use screen protector with no case.

16. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

17. newellj macrumors 601

I have the Spigen glass protectors on both of my iPhones. There is a slight (maybe 1mm) area between the screen protector and the Apple leather case all the way around the front that is not covered. It doesn't bother me in using the phone, and I swipe a lot. It also hasn't been a protection problem. I would far rather have a completely clear screen protector that leaves a 1mm gap than one of the types that hides its adhesion problems with an opaque border. This is all totally YMMV stuff, however.