Is it really necessary for a mini version of the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Apr 9, 2012.

?

Should there be a mini version of the iPad?

1. Yes

70 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

With rumours flying about a mini version of the iPad coming out soon, what do you guys think about it?

Is it... pointless? The iPad isn't even that big. If you compare it to a regular laptop, the iPad is a mini version. I don't think it's really necessary for a smaller version of the iPad.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think it is. As a GTab 8.9 and 7 owner, I can definitely appreciate the smaller form factor and hopefully lighter weight.

3. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Its not necessary, but desirable.

I would love to have a 7" option. Sometimes slogging a full size tablet on the train during my commute is just too big.

4. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Smaller is more desirable for travel and light reading. Look at Amazon's 7" market and ecosystem that they have, they're pretty much all by themselves right now. Other 7" readers and tablets haven't really picked up steam because their ecosystem is not really tailored and targeted at the right audience.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

6. SweetDove macrumors regular

Wouldn't a mini iPad just be an iPhone? Or an iPod touch? I think it's kind of excessive. But apple, being a company, will make anything if it can make profit. It'll be insetting to see what they come up with.

7. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I think enough people will buy it so apple will make it. :apple:

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yes. Sometimes I find the iPad too big (not heavy), the huge screen.

9. MR1324 macrumors 6502

yes, the smaller form factor is so much more comfortable to hold.

10. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

11. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Blackberry (RIM) tried it with their 7" Playbook. It turned out to be an absolute failure. So I voted no.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If I want to use a device one-handed on the subway or out on the street, I usemy iPhone. Personally, I think a 7 inch device would also be too big for those situations. If I'm sitting fown, then I might as well use the 9 inch iPad -- a 7 inch screen would likely feel a bit cramped. So no, I don't see myself as ever using a 7 inch tablet.

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Sure, why not? There are people who need a smaller form factor, but want something bigger than a phone.

14. sphinx99 macrumors member

I think it could be interesting if it included an integrated kickstand. I'd also be interested if it sacrificed some components for significantly improved battery life.

15. ruku macrumors member

If youre not interested in a different sized product then ignore it and if they make one and others buy them well good for them. Do you own AAPL stock? So far a 50 50 response rate means theyd be mad not to offer one.

16. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I fly/travel between 14 and 24 hours a week. I like the form factor of my Fire but I don't like the OS. If a smaller iPad won't be available, then I don't see a need for an iPad.

17. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Larger would be more useful to me, maybe only a slightly larger form factor with a smaller bezel and more screen area. However any increase in weight would be unwelcome so I'm not sure it's feasible.

----------

Poor analogy though because the PlayBook has a lot more issues than just the size.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Totally clueless. People were instead attracted by the 7 inch screen. The reason behind its failure has nothing to do with its form factor.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The Kindle crowd (and by that I mean mostly old ladies and my wife, because those are the only people I ever see using e-readers) will LOVE an iPad Mini. It will be cheaper, smaller, and lighter, but will still be an iPad, much like how the iPod Shuffles and Nanos appealed to a new audience.

And you can't really use the e-ink argument anymore either if you're going to talk about the Kindle Fire as a serious competitor to the iPad. If the Kindle Fire is Amazon's anti-iPad solution, then e-ink becomes a non-factor.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I don't see the attraction of a smaller iPad.

However, I'm sure there is definitely a market for a smaller device so why not release one?

21. Teste macrumors 6502

Same here.

I need something like a (paper) notebook to take notes with. A (computer) notebook is nowhere that mobile or simple to use; you can't confortably take notes with one when standing, for example. The iPad is considerably better for that kind of thing, but it is still a bit too small. If it were a bit bigger, at the physical size of a (paper) notebook, it would be perfect for me.

22. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I dont see the attraction of a smaller iPad either. Granted, I haven't played with a 7" device, but I cant imagine it having enough screen space for much.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

Finally we agree. Dont let it go to your head :cool:

24. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I've played around with the Kindle Fire and 1st gen Galaxy tab and really liked the small form factor. Personally, I think the current iPad is the perfect size for me. It's not too big and not too small and it's lightweight. I'm sure though, if Apple made a smaller iPad, it'll probably sell like hotcakes just simply due to its smaller size. I think there is enough of a market where an iPad mini would find a nice home along side its big brother.

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

This size will prove to be an even bigger seller and will usurp the regular iPad.

You'll see....mark my words...Weight is a way bigger value-add than folks realize.