Is it really possible to run Gnome or KDE in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crvdude, Dec 7, 2008.

1. crvdude macrumors newbie

I was reading this blog post and one of the comments made a claim that you can run Gnome or KDE in OS X... is that true?

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Maybe in Vmwave Fusion, but not as a Os environment! And if you read it carefully, he said, " you can make it look just like windows xp , vista, or even OSX!"

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've heard of people trying to do this but I've yet to hear of anyone actually being successful. It ought to be possible since OS X is based on BSD Unix.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want to. Aqua (OS X) is much more useable in my opinion.

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-x86/2006/Jul/msg00000.html

It's possible... it's BSD. But it's more of a hobbiest type of project. After all is said and done, why would you want to use KDE or GNOME when OS X is a more polished operating system? They are nice GUI's but they're just not OS X... if you're just doing it for the hell of it, good luck and enjoy.

EDIT: Just took a look at your linked site... that guy is the epitome of computer geek. He has a bunch of you tube videos.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

As localoid said, it is possible. I would ask why you want to do it though? I would suggest that if you want to run specific KDE/Gnome apps, it might be better to do it via VirtualBox if you have the memory.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah, I've had some fun with playing with KDE on X11 running on OS X back in 2003.

Attached Files:

8. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Yes, it is possible to install KDE and GNOME on OS X but just to run their programs, not the interface..

9. doobs macrumors regular

Install MacPorts 1.7, then run "sudo port install gnome" or "sudo port install kde". That will give you Gnome or KDE...easy.

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I have done it, its easy. As mentioned above you can download it with Macports. You can run it right on top of the aqua interface with X11 and its also possible to escape out of Aqua and run Gnome on OS X without Aqua. There is just not much point to doing that because none of your OS X native apps will work and OS X has a much, much better GUI!

11. slylabs13 macrumors newbie

Ever since Leopard (10.5) the Mac OS X is entirely UNIX. There are no more BSD underpinnings left, or so Apple says.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You missed the most important point. BSD is not just one thing. There are different versions of BSD. The current version of BSD and the current version of UNIX are one. They now conform to the Single UNIX Specification. MacOS X 10.5 and MacOS X 10.6 are both certified to conform to Single UNIX Specification, Version 3. Single UNIX Specification, Version 4 is in getting ready in the wings.

13. Phechs, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

Phechs macrumors member

Lion + KDE/Gnome?

has anyone tried to get the KDE or Gnome window environments working in osx 10.7 Lion? If so, any steps you took would be helpful.