Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pickoff

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
SoCal
Hey... I have been reading through this forum a lot these last couple days, and it has started to freak me out a bit. Are all these problems people are having really that common? Whining, crashing, over heating....

I going off to a boarding high school next year and am getting a new MacBook Pro sometime in mid-June, around the base model 2.5 Ghz 15 inch model, and I have been doing my research and it seems like there are no end to the weird problems people are having. Are the vast majority of people actually problem free and are just not posting here? I am used to a stoic iMac where the only issues are self-inflicted and software-related.

Also, I have a tendency to overestimate how much funds I am going to have, so I want to make sure I need what I want if that makes sense. I play Halo and am looking forward to StarCraft II, but I do want to expand my gaming to newer (read: more graphically heavy) games. I spend a lot of time on photoshop with iTunes and iChat running, and do a lot of video editing. I have heard that the top-of-the line MacBook is often better at video stuff (other than gaming) then the 2.4 MBPro is. Would it be better to spring the extra $400 or so for the 2.5? I am probably going to have to use this computer for 4 years, so I dont want to screw this up. "I" do have an education discount of $200+ because my mom is on the board of some high school.

Also, what is the downside to a glossy screen? Since Apple is not charging extra for it I know there must be a catch xD. Power-hungry?

Thanks for the help.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Well the people who have problems here are just a few of the people who actually purchase the machine so the rest do not post(it seems like only the really excited people do too) so basically the ones who are fine don't post (which is majority).

I don't think you should spend the extra money getting the .1 faster processor and no clue about glossy/matte.

ChrisN

dxpx

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
Also, what is the downside to a glossy screen? Since Apple is not charging extra for it I know there must be a catch xD. Power-hungry?

Well - to put it simply, the glossy display will grant you more vivid color with seemingly crystal clarity. The downside is - it doesn't fair well in the sun or under bright florescent light - solely because it tends to reflect these beams and cause a minor glare. In contrast, the matte display is great for outdoor work, but you tend to lose color intensity.

My advice, rock the glossy display. I have a 15" MBP and Im totally satisfied with the layout. I occasionally take it outside [various coffee shops, and what have you] but not enough to want [or need] the matte display. Even still, its only a minor glare in the sun.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
The +.1 also includes about 256MB more of VRAM, among other things... Still no?

There are no other things. The only two upgrades is the T8300 to T9300 and the 256mb vram to 512MB. The small bump in CPU speed and cache isn't going to make any real noticeable difference and the 8600M GT can't use 512mb of vram.

EDIT: My bad, the more expensive model also has the 250GB 5400rpm drive vs the 200GB one in the base model. Still definitely not worth $500 to upgrade to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.