Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yuha, Jul 10, 2009.

1. yuha macrumors newbie

Since my PC sudden death, I thought to replace with a new iMac 20". My needs are serious photo editing on photoshop CS4 and some video editing from time to time. I was dissapointed to find out from reading over the net and here also that some people relate to the 20" screen as bad. Is it really that bad? I'm on a budget here and the 24" is out of the question. For the same price I can have a good screen and a powerfull PC what would you reccomend?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You probably want to visit an Apple Store yourself and try it out
    Everyone's opinion will differ

I think they are just fine... but that may mean nothing to you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Yes, and if possible make at least two trips because it's overwhelming in just one visit. You'll change your mind several times... It'll be worth it, though.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I've been the the Apple Store several times and used the 20in iMac. I think they look fine but it is truly up to you.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a 20" imac and think the screen is beautiful, but I'm not a serious photographer or editor. Only you can decide if that screen will meet your needs.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Yes, it uses a TN screen and has bad viewing angles which distort the picture as you move your head. All TN screens are like that, its science.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which is exactly why the OP needs to see it and use it himself to see if it meets his needs.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. If you live near an Apple store go and see it for yourself.

9. yuha thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try to test 20" vs 24" at Apple store with the same images. What type of screen has is the imac 24" ?

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

IPS i think

11. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I love my 20" iMac screen, in fact I recently got a MBP 13" and sat side by side the screens are very very similar. Only differences I can see is that the 13" has slightly richer colours, blacks are more black and so on. I was worried when I got the 13" because I'd heard praise for the new screens, but complaints bout my 20" iMac screen, so wondered if the difference would really show up, but it just doesn't, 20" is a lovely display.

12. johnadverd macrumors newbie

Hi dear friends,

It is surprisingly easy to think you have it in correctly yet not have a connection.

The plug is in the back center of the computer, and the cable can go through a hole in the pedestal.