Is it really that much hard work for a dev to.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pez555, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

....re-adjust their apps to fit a different resolution?

I know nothing about this, hence why i am asking. But IF we are to see a bigger screen on the iPhone 5, we are going to have to have a bigger resolution to maintain the retina display, correct?

So for a dev, how much work does it actually take to re-adjust an app to fit a larger resolution? From certain reactions on here, i am under the impression it is a lot of hard work....? I also understand that the app will have to work on two different resolutions, but is this really an issue?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

If developers did not plan ahead it could mean remaking all their icons, buttons, backgrounds, etc. from scratch. That's just the display. If their app is a game that is coded with pixels in mind it could be another huge change. I don't even have a clue how games with characters and scenery would get updated.

3. profets macrumors 68040

I would think they could increase the screen size a bit and still have a 300 ppi density, and still call it retina. A minor bump in resolution would seem pretty messy overall.

4. treestar macrumors 6502

There is no way the retina display is 300 ppi. Is it? That's crazy. I thought it was between 160 and 200 ppi.

5. A2DY macrumors member

326 iirc