is it really this cumbersome to uninstall MS Office ??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by unclejamaal, May 30, 2015.

1. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

I'm more accustomed to Windows than OSX, so maybe this is a silly mistake I'm making.

I installed MS Office and realised I need to uninstall certain components, and used this web page as a guide to uninstall the re-install again:

https://support.office.com/en-za/ar...om-a-Mac-ba8d8d13-0015-4eea-b60b-7719c2cedd17

The whole process is manual and if I wasnt referring to that web site I'd be stuck on what to do ad the process is not straightforward at all if not done it before.

The question is, is there an easier way to uninstall something like MS Office or selected components . Am I missing a trick here?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

That's the instructions to remove every little piece of Office, if you don't mind the leftover files then removing the main core .app's should be sufficient. This might be addressed in the new 'Office for Mac' release coming this later this year.

Link to the preview version of the next 'Office for Mac': https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/mac-preview

3. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Yes, it looks like it. I uninstalled Office 2011 last weekend, because I had the Dutch language version installed. You can reinstall the english version on top, but you'll end up with double files.

This is one of few things I don't like on OS X/iMac. Apple should enforce proper install and uninstall scripts. Specially uninstall scripts, which don't leave any clutter. Though it might look easy to just drag an app from the .dmg archive into the apps folder, when you run any app for the first time it will still install all kind of stuff in your Library and in other folders.

4. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

That's just not possible, not without turning Mac OS into something like iOS. Apple can't "enforce" third-party apps from companies like Microsoft.

Can you imagine how upset people would be if Apple "banned" Microsoft Office?

5. macbookonthego macrumors newbie

macbookonthego

I installed MS Office and realised I need to uninstall certain components, and used this web page as a guide to uninstall the re-install again:

Try (free) app cleaner - it will search your system, find all components of any app, then you can remove it cleanly