Is it really worth giving up unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steviejobz, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I can't upgrade via 2-yr contract until Oct 1. I can order tomorrow via Next but to make it worthwhile, I need to move to a value share plan but I'd lose unlimited. I don't use that much data (3GB/mo) but the thought of losing a good plan just to get phone several weeks sooner doesn't sit well with me. That said, I love getting my phone as soon as possible.

Can anyone talk me out of it?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Easy to talk you out of it. You can't upgrade to the Next plan online if you are in NY. Read the many threads on this on the first page.

3. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

if you can keep your unlimited plan by waiting 2 weeks, then definitely do that.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't have unlimited and never go over my allowed limit.

That being said, if you're only like 2 weeks away, I would wait and keep it.

5. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I held onto it for a couple years, finally dumped in in 2011 or 2012 finally...I didnt noticed until after i dropped it how much data the speedtest apps use. You do a few of those a week and you have plowed through 500mb-1gb.

In the end i am a heavy user, there have been months i average 4-5gb, then over the last couple years it is getting more and more..I think now i am around 7-9gb a month.

Worth dumping? I would say yes..The main reason would be your going to have to eventually anyway, might as well get it over with.

6. CoolBradG macrumors regular

Nope. I'm going to end up paying full retail for my 6 to keep my unlimited since they've patched the family plan loophole.

7. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

You do know that you end up paying the same amount with the Next plan vs buying it straight up? You also get the benefit of having an unlocked device out of the box (if that's as important to you as it is to me). Just buy it contract-free.

Also, AT&T are apparently making everyone pay a $25-a-month fee for 24 months to get a subsidized phone anyway. You may want to look into this new turn of events.

9. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

The UDP is worth its weight in gold. I have managed my entire iPhone life without worrying for a nanosecond about streaming a video or downloading an app. That peace of mind is something that those without unlimited data can't understand.

If you want your phone that badly, just overpay for it, perhaps you'll get an adjustment after the fact by a sympathetic mobile agent. It's only money.

BJ

10. Mlrollin91, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

This is not true, you are just not receiving the $25 a month credit by being on a qualifying Next/Mobile Share Plan. There is no additional cost but the $40 dollar upgrade fee by using a subsidy.

Thinking about it, this means you would pay $600 in addition to $199-$499 depending on model. You would end up paying more than retail for the phone plus your locked into a 2 year contract. The only thing AT&T is doing is not giving you that monthly discount. They are not charging extra.

11. CoolBradG macrumors regular

I read that is not the case?

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You're just responding to hype OP. People are gonna burn data like never before once those big screened iPhones hit the market and AT&T can't wait for the overages.

It's just a few weeks.

13. tl01 macrumors 68000

Which loophole are you speaking of?

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You can but its not beneficial. You don't receive the $15-25 a month credit for being on a mobile share plan. So it's more costly to do the Next program and keep unlimited data vs. a 2 year subsidy.

15. mhdena macrumors 6502

I guess with a name like you chose its really really really important to you.

Be a man

Stop being an apple dummy

16. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

How? Don't they force you into the Mobile Share Value plan?

17. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

What if you are on a standalone phone line. Is it better to keep the UDP?

18. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

You just keep it. Its that simple. You CAN change to another plan but you can choose to keep the unlimited. If you try to do a mock upgrade right now you would see.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Unlimited vs. Mobile Share? All I know is that I am not giving up unlimited till they force me off of it. I'm missing out on not tethering or being able to upgrade yearly with next at a reduced cost, but I feel unlimited is more valuable than saving $15-25 a month on my bill. I essentially value unlimited data at more that $55 a month. $30 for service and $25 for Next discount.

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Dropped our 2 unlimited earlier this year. Best thing I ever did.

Just did not need it.

Now - 10gb across 4 phones + tethering $160 A MONTH

21. lKeithStone macrumors member

Call or Chat AT&T. Mine was 11/9 and I got it moved to today. You can check out my thread to see my conversation:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1776132

22. hpman247 macrumors regular

I'm giving up the UDP. Always said I wouldn't but here's why.

The most data I've ever used was 6GB. Most months it's 3GB or less. That month I used 6GB they slowed my down the last few days of the month and IT WAS HELL. Everything was so slow. So if you're going over 5GB, what's the point of UDP if they're just going to make it hell for you to get online?

So, I figure I can upgrade with Next, change to the 10GB Mobile Share plan, and my bill will stay exactly the same as it is now (minus the monthly Next payment). That will give me Tethering which is hugely important to me, and something I would be without for a few months without a jailbreak at launch, and with the peace of mind knowing that if I do tether, I'll be doing it legally.

Never thought I would say it, but giving up UDP seems to be the way to go.

23. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

You In November:

"What? Why am I being asked to pay $30 for an automatic added data plan this month?"

BJ

24. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Me too. My parents had 3 lines on their account, my wife and I had 3 also. Combined them, disconnected one line, now I save $100 per month. Never thought I would drop unlimited data - but to save $100 per month it was a no brainer

25. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

You should heed your own advise and stop being an *******.

----------

Yep. Throttling makes the "unlimited" plan pretty much useless. I'm about to drop mine.