Is it really worth it going to 1.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Dec 11, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I currently have (and im happy) with 1.1.1 and have been ignoring 1.1.2 update prompts from iTunes. Its mostly stable although Safari does occasionally crash. However something keeps pushing me to upgrade just so i have the latest firmware and so iTunes shuts up already

But i've also heard people having major issues with 1.1.2 and some even say it drains their battery more.

Just curious anyone running 1.1.2 just fine with no problems and are there any benefits like the Safari crash being fixed besides keyboard layouts?

2. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

IMO unless you reallllllllly want a little battery indicator in iTunes next to your iPhone in the source list, there is NO reason to update. I'm holding out until we get new features that make it worth our while to upgrade the firmware. I believe that 1.1.2 was mainly released just to slow down the 3rd party development and I for one don't support that one bit.

:)

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I would lose Japanese support and all my apps.

miPhone works just fine, so I'll leave it as it is I think. Won't even get 1.1.3

4. JPyre macrumors 6502

I wouldnt, and havent, updated to 1.1.2. If you are american there is no need for it and no benefits or fixes.

5. pake macrumors regular

The safari crashs you mentioned disappeared (when you move the website-screen around when it has not finished downloading, and you are listening to music?). And you get custom ringtones support, battery life also seems better (no, safari is not snappier; or perhaps it is?).

The only thing I miss is my language-free keyboard; I also type in spanish so, it was useful.

Having the latest firmware is also nice!

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I don't have this type of crash. My crash is very random and hard to reproduce i guess certain type of sites with certain code (probably flash heavy sites) crash safari but pinching and rotating in Safari whilst loading AND whilst blasting music has no effect whatsoever....even whilst on a call simultaneously

7. pake macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

note that I said this happened to me when the site had not finished loading, even with macrumors. That bug went away for me with 1.2.2.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I know. I didnt/don't have this problem even whilst the site is still loading. Oh well...maybe 1.1.3 will fix my issue

9. vomoco macrumors newbie

10. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded. Nothing major thus far. I do like that i can make the phone speak German, French etc but i disliked the fact that there arent any asian-esque type keyboards available anymore, which i used to send native messages to my asian buddies just for fun

Also the ability to add ringtones without hassle is another bonus and the fact that you can now really tell whether you're on EDGE or not.

Other than that...meh. Hopefully it's stable and doesn't eat up battery life.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's a pretty cynical view! I think 1.1.2 was actually released because it contains changes to add support for the European iPhones but don't let that spoil your conspiracy theory ;)

12. vinylkiller macrumors member

i had no choice as iu bought mine and it was 1.1.2 i cud dgrade and jailbreak but i am waiting for 1.1.3 to see what that update brings and i don't feel i am missing out on much with my phone as it is.