Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chipz

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Voorhees, NJ
Is it really Worth it??

I have a 20" Intel iMac and I love it. Everything runs smoothly without many of the "hiccups" experienced on Windows machines. The integration of software and hardware is excellent. The iMac is an all-in-one machine, so there is little you can do to upgrade the machine. I've found in the years I've owned a Mac, I don't miss the upgradability whatsoever. Macs are dfesigned to last for years an not become outdated. I use MS Office for Mac and it is very responsive and capable. The look and feel of it on the iMac is just great. The only feature I really miss from the full version of MS Office is Access, but then, you can use a spreadsheet to handle some databases. The iLife programs that come with the iMac are out of this world. If you are into writing music Garageband is an excellent program. iDVD is also great for making your own DVDs of your home movies, etc. iMovie is great for editing your videos and then transferring them to a DVD. iPhoto, while not on the same level as Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, is a great photo editor and restoration program. Many of the programs you use on Windows are available for the Mac, although, with the new Intel iMacs, you have the ability to run Windows programs as well. This can be a handy feature indeed if you have a program which has no similar program available for OS X. OS X is, in a word, GREAT! Gone are the constant lockups and crashes and it is also virus free and resistant/ At this time, there are no widely spread virus or worms, etc. for OS X, but I would still siuggest you consider an anti-virus program anyway. I always tend to play on the safe side. As I said, my experience with th iMac has been excellent. Before this unit I had a G5 iMac as well as an old G4 iMac and they are both still running today, although in different homes. Good luck in your future. If there is an Apple store near you, get over and try out the iMac as well as the other Macs available. You'll be hooked.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I use 3 OS's: OSX, XP, and Vista RC2. OSX is better than XP no doubt. Its easier on the eyes, Finder is vastly supperior to Explorer when browsing through files, and its settings are more user friendly. If you have about 1gb of ram then both OS's are as snappy as possible, that should be a non-issue in todays age.

Is OSX better than Vista? Hmm... I would say no. Apple is starting to pull a Microsoft with OSX. Its old and its looking like its going to stay old for awhile. Not nearly as stale as XP but when youve been using OSX since 10.2 then you just need something different. Apple's tiny little updates each year really arent suffecient, there needs to be another major change. The next iteration of OSX seems to continue the trend, offering nothing but a couple new features aimed at a niche group rather than doing a rehaul of the OS. Vista finally breaks this chain and offers a somewhat "next gen" OS like what OSX was when it first came out. I would go into what makes Vista a breath of fresh air but this is already kind of long. Since Vista is due out first thing next year I would be very wary on what platform I choose (but like other people said, you can always just run Windows on a Mac if you have to, but it has piss poor hardware support with drivers). It reminds me of the tortoise and the hare. Hopefully 10.6 blows Vista away since I know Apple is more than capable of doing better.

I want to know how responsive is it how fast do apps open (native or non-native) how fast is it compared to windows starting up, opening apps closing apps. How fast is it on wireless internet, does it hook up easy. Has it crashed on anyone.
All of your questions have to do with your hardware and have nothing to do with OSX or Windows. The internet is exactly the same speed on any OS, you dont have to worry about that. The internet browser is debatable, some will say Fire Fox on XP is the best browser available, some will say Safari for OSX is (I personally like Safari's interface the most, but its compatibility with websites leaves much to be desired). Boot time depends on how fast your computer is, if you want faster boot time then just get a faster computer with a top of the line HDD. Same with openning programs. OSX and XP are both equally stable, if you put abunch of badly written programs on OSX or XP then youll have an unstable computer, if you keep them clean then they are both rock solid and can be ran for months without needing to be reset. Trust me, OSX can get extremely unstable if given the chance, the spinning ball cursor is just as scary as a blue screen.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
You can run windows on the mac, tghere are far better looking than anything else, they are powerful and will last you for years. i have been using my G3 tower since they came out and am only looking to upgrade because i need the portability of a notebook

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
I suggest you should take a look at the Quicktime demo's of OS X on apple's website. Then you would realise the difference. Also, visit the nearest apple store and ask the sales person the same question. I am sure they are trained to answer such questions! :)

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
adrianblaine said:
The iMac is an incredible machine. My friend bought the 20" iMac about 9 months ago to replace is gateway laptop, and he actually uses it as a portable. He bought a backpack case for it and he brings it to school and takes it home everyday (we are architecture students so he has a studio desk to use it on) but it's the most amazing portable desktop computer I've ever seen.
WHAT!! :eek:
Using iMac as a portable!
Just too hard to believe! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.