Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by harryhood, Jul 14, 2008.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

I want to switch my current email (from my isp) and switch over to a better one. Is it really worth paying $99 a year for email? I just got through reading on apple's site and..I mean Isn't there free email services out there that do the same thing for me basically? Talk to me. Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you have multiple computers or an iPhone/iPod touch for which you want to keep calendars and contacts in sync?

If not, and you only want email, then I would suggest something free like GMail.

3. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

That's about it too

4. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

can i get gmail on my iphone and set up through a mail client?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, GMail supports both POP3 and IMAP protocols which all mail applications support, including the iPhone mail application.

6. Zeos macrumors 6502

Might be worth it if you need to keep calendars and contacts up to date between your iPhone / iPod Touch and multiple Macs. Otherwise, go with a free internet account (gmail, yahoo) and just sync up your iPhone/Touch to keep calendars and contacts up to date.

Can anyone point out some miraculous feature about MobileMe that I am missing??

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You might want to do a search on this subject. There are plenty of topics going over both the cons and pros for each email service. I was in the same boat. Having had a msn.com account for a very long time. I was having problems seeing the emails in mail and on my iPhone since the udpate of 5.4. Since then a new plugin has come along but I didn't want to have to hassle going through not having my email again.

I bit the bullet and have gone to gmail. No complaints yet and it works great with my mail and iPhone. Use the IMAP feature and it is super nice. I am hoping gmail uses a push service in the near future.