Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bendrumin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
I have a 2015 13 Macbook Pro (base model retina) and debating on going to a macbook. I use my 5k imac for all of the heavy CPU stuff. Is it worth the pros and cons to go to the macbook right now or stay with my retina.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Owning both high end 13" & 12" Retina`s I would stay with the 13" for now, and review your needs after the release of the second generation with Skylake, as it will be an advancement and the waiting time is relatively short. The new Retina MacBook is currently highly polarised, personally I very much like it and am finding I am using it more and more over time.

If price is not an issue then equally there`s little reason to delay, personally I will update my 1.2 Ghz 512 SSD to Skylake on release, the 13" I will not update. For my work use I will be looking at a pair of 12" and the new 2016 15" rMBP

Q-6

tbirdparis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2015
It depends on what you bought your 13" rMBP for in the first place. If your main reason for having a laptop is for portability and convenience, then yeah it's worth at least thinking about the rMB even now. What was your reasoning for getting the 13" pro as opposed to say getting an Air?

bendrumin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
It depends on what you bought your 13" rMBP for in the first place. If your main reason for having a laptop is for portability and convenience, then yeah it's worth at least thinking about the rMB even now. What was your reasoning for getting the 13" pro as opposed to say getting an Air?
I love the retina screen and the force touch track pad

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I have a 2015 13 Macbook Pro (base model retina) and debating on going to a macbook. I use my 5k imac for all of the heavy CPU stuff. Is it worth the pros and cons to go to the macbook right now or stay with my retina.
Are you past your return period already? If so, I would stick with the rMBP unless you can get the same amount or more selling it that you had to spend on buying it.

Personally, I agree very much with @Queen6's comment: "Owning both high end 13" & 12" Retina`s I would stay with the 13" for now, and review your needs after the release of the second generation with Skylake, as it will be an advancement and the waiting time is relatively short."

bendrumin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
I ended up picking a base space gray/grey last night at Best Buy, love it so far. Not noticing any lag or anything which is nice. I have 45 days being a Elite+ to return it so ill test it out and see how it works for my daily grind. The keyboard takes some getting used to but eh,

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Owning both high end 13" & 12" Retina`s I would stay with the 13" for now, and review your needs after the release of the second generation with Skylake, as it will be an advancement and the waiting time is relatively short. The new Retina MacBook is currently highly polarised, personally I very much like it and am finding I am using it more and more over time.

If price is not an issue then equally there`s little reason to delay, personally I will update my 1.2 Ghz 512 SSD to Skylake on release, the 13" I will not update. For my work use I will be looking at a pair of 12" and the new 2016 15" rMBP

Q-6

This - I love mine and it does everything i ask, but i will be upgrading for thunderbolt 3 so i can use a thunderbolt display

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Interesting how its went from a heated 'the rMB is enough/amazing!' to 'wait till the next one' so fast. :)

It will always be that way. Even if Skylake was in it, someone will complain it's too slow for them.

Just remember, it will be an ultra low voltage CPU. You are not going to get an i7.

People are already complaining about the current rMBP, and are waiting for skylake. What is wrong with the current model? Before Skylake is released, Intel will have already announced the next generation after that. So it's already outdated before it's even in their hands.

When Broadwell came out, people were complaining that it wasn't fast enough, so I said even if Intel came out with Rosewell, a CPU from an alien specie that's at least 1,000 times faster in every way, someone is going to find something to complain about.

What do they do 99% of the time with it? Browse the web and email. That can be done using a 10 years old laptop.

Last edited:

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
I ended up picking a base space gray/grey last night at Best Buy, love it so far. Not noticing any lag or anything which is nice. I have 45 days being a Elite+ to return it so ill test it out and see how it works for my daily grind. The keyboard takes some getting used to but eh,

Congrats on your purchase! Report back. I suspect you'll fall in love with it as you seem to have the right setup regarding a very light workload mobile and a heavy hitting home system.

FWIW, I would've second everything Queen6 suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.