is it really worth tagging?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

When dealing with a connection of Itunes library movies/TV Shows, I am tagging "as I add titles" which all goes well for movies, not soo for TV Shows.

Neither TagChimp or TVDB can get the relevant info. wouldn't be a problem with one TV Show, but i have a huge collection of TV Shows, Family Guy, Futurama, The Simpsons etc....

In order to fill these empty spaces in, I'm manually copying the description for sites like IMDB or the like.

Neither Identify nor MetaX does the job for TV Shows. Sometimes, not even finding Cover Art. As such, I doubt Itunes would do it either. In addition, I always like to fill in the Release Air date field in Identify. Sometimes this does not remain sticky when moving to the next title to edit (if you've got 2 or more items in the list, but editing one at a time)

I'm starting to thing weather i should just stick to tagging Movies only, and leaving TV shows (as I'm finding these cause more problems than good)

Any suggestions ?

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

TheTVDB does have information for just about every TV show, so if iDentify can't find one, it's probably an issue of file naming.

I like iFlicks for TV show naming, because it has customisable rules to deal with troublesome TV show names.

3. McFunkerson macrumors newbie

I tag all my Movies with Magic Media Marker. It's all automatic and doesn't require any user interaction. Most of my stuff is automated (through watched folders) but you can also feed MMM manually for your existing collection.

It's definitely worth it for me not to just have a series of black boxes and studio company title cards on my iPad and AppleTV.

4. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I should add that I have no financial connection to iFlicks or iDentify and am simply a happy customer of both.

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Yes tagging is very worth it, how are you naming your files before adding to identify. I have used idenity on over 1200 tv episodes and it has worked with very few exceptions.

6. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

And if you're sure it hasn't got the one you are looking for you should definitely help the community and add it yourself.

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I don't know how other apps handle this, but my experience is just with MetaX using the TagChimp database... TV shows typically have their own name, per episode, so searching for the show might not give you any results, but if you search for the actual episode's name/title, you'll probably find what you're looking for.

8. martin1000 macrumors 6502

Search on the title of the specific show, not the title of the series.

I find most of my shows will come up in MetaX.

9. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

MetaX for Mac is just not worth it. More problems than it's worth. For Identify, which I use all the time now, I name things a particular way and it works 99% of the time:

SHOWNAME S+SEASON-EPISODE

For example:

LOST S1-1 for Lost Season 1 Episode 1

The key thing I noticed for Identify is to get the TV show name right. So what I sometimes do is go to IMDB and get the show name as it is there and use that in the filename in Handbrake. I've only had a couple of shows not show up and they were more obscure ones.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Another things with Identify, is add the Season and Episode to your filename.

<showname>_S#E#

Replace the #'s with the Season and Episode number. Identify should then find everything without issue.

11. arizona654 macrumors newbie

+1 for iFlicks. I'm a happy iFlicks user too. Both Movies and TV shows. Don't give up on tagging, just find a way to automate it. :)

12. bob99 macrumors member

Subler is free, and great! For TV shows, and movies.

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

An added tip if you run across two shows named the same, add the year to the file name.

I had to do that with Archer, there was a short lived TV show in the 70's also named Archer.

So for the animated show from the FX network you can add the year..

Like this
    Archer (2009) S1E1