Is it really worth the wait? (MacBook Pro SR)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lifeguy, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Lifeguy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #1
    So, in the beginning of May I sold my MacBook Pro (2.0 CD) which I originally purchased upon release of the first MPB's. I was originally going to proceed and buy the new MBP's with the SR chips and the LED backlights which were released in June, but then decided not to. I figured I'd be better off waiting for Apple to release Leopard so it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

    So for the remainder of the summer I used the computers in my house which was fine. I started school 2-3 weeks ago, without a computer obviously. I don't necessarily need one because there is a computer lab right next to my dorm, but I'd obviously be better off having one. I thought I'd be able to wait it out until late October, but now I'm considering the idea of just buying one without Leopard. The problem is, I have already waited so long and it would seem like a waste of 4-5 months if I just bought one now instead of waiting.

    Does anyone speculate a speed-bump or any other upgrades upon the release of Leopard. I feel like waiting for the ones with Leopard already integrated in them would be ideal, but this wait is killing me!! :confused:
     
  2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2007
    Location:
    Not where you live.
    #2
    Personally, at this late stage I would wait.

    The LED screens are not yet available in the 17" but I'm not sure you want the 17. It's my feeling that they will be by year end, and maybe by the time Leopard is released.

    But for now, given the wait to Leopard is probably no more than 6 weeks, I would wait.

    My .02.

    Cheers.
     
  3. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #3
    You can do it! Even the possibility of a price cut/speed bump is worth the wait of only a few more weeks...
     
  4. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #4
    Also, let's say I purchase one next week. How long would I have to return it? Maybe I'd be able to buy one relatively soon, and then exchange it for one of the newer models with Leopard on it.

    Thanks

    No, I just plan on going with a 15".
     
  5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2007
    Location:
    Not where you live.
    #5
    Oh come on, that's not fair.

    If you need one now, get it. And if you want Leopard later, buy it.

    If you want Leopard and can wait, then wait for it.

    But don't test Apple's return policy because you're impatient and want to save $130.
     
  6. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #6
    I wasn't planning on it. It was just hypothetical.
     
  7. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

    RedDragon870503

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #7
    Not to point something out to late; but you could have bought one yesterday and got a $199 rebate for an iPod... turned around and sold it and saved at least $175 instead of the $70 dollars you'd save (Leopard is $70 with an .edu discount right?) by waiting for Leopard...

    That said, it is too late for that and the offer is now expired...

    I'd wait.
     
  8. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #8
    The rebate is no longer a full $199; I belive that once the new iPods came out, it dropped to whatever value the old nanos have now, which is $149-I think. Either way, your point is correct. The OP would have saved more money by buying his mbp over the summer.
     
  9. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #9
    But there is always the chance of an upgrade once they are released with Leopard.
     
  10. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #10
    A mild one. You could have gotton use out of a current SR mbp had you bought it during the summer promotion. By stalling, you now have to gamble that the update will occur at some point around Leopard's arrival. If it doesn't come, what will you do, seeing as how you are a student?
     
  11. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #11
    There isn't going to be an upgrade when Leopard comes out.. you're going to be waiting until January for the next significant update. (Penryn 45nm)
     
  12. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #12
    Thanks for all the feedback. Any other insight is much appreciated.
     
  13. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #13
    Christmas:) Seriously, by then Leopard will be out, and the chances of a mbp update will be high. This way, you might be able to get your parents to give something towards it (you did say you were a student right?).
     
  14. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #14
    Uh, an, "if I did it" musing. I think I heard that one before, from -- Orenthal.
     
  15. polycat33 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    Alexandria, VA
    #15
    Or you could wait until next summer or the summer after that or... honestly, you could be waiting forever for the next update and the next one and the next one and the entire time you are computerless. I kinda wanted leopard, but I got my MBP in June anyway because I wanted a computer then. Plus it's only like $65. Really, it's up to you on whether you can wait, but it could be an endless cycle of waiting forever.
     
  16. waywardsage macrumors 6502

    waywardsage

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location:
    CA
    #16
    Personally, I'm waiting for Leopard. And the backlit LED screens. LED's, (if not defective) save a ton of power. And they don't wear out like CCRT, (cold cathode ray tubes).

    It's worth the wait for those right there. I want the 17" MBP. That will use up alot of power. And it would be almost necessary to have a LED backlit screen.

    I hope there will be technical upgrades. Lets hope for a 250GB 7200 RPM hardrive option. And perhaps a few little extras?
     
  17. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    #17
    I dont think there will be any October refresh....
    the SR MBP right now is fully compatible with a full 64bit OS like Leopard...why release a new one?

    Personally, I'd buy one right now...tech issues is the reason.
    Early SR MBP models will probably have some tech issues, and now it's been like what? 3 months? Most out-of-the-factory SR MBP will probably have the latest bug fixes etc...

    finally, like a post above mine, you can't wait for technology. There will always be something new...what if you got the newest fresh one in the future? half a year later, another new one will arrive, and you're going to just sell the old one and buy the new one? That's just unwise.
     
  18. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #18
    Actually I only plan on buying one either now, or when Leopard is released regardless of whether or not there is an upgrade.



    I now wish that I had done this, but it's already September and I'll feel like an idiot for having the same computer that I could of had in June. Even though if I buy it with Leopard, it will essentially be the same computer. But at least I know that there would have been some kinda perk.
     
  19. Trepex macrumors 6502a

    Trepex

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2007
    Location:
    Ottawa, Canada
    #19
    Yes, I agree with what others have said; it's far to early for a refresh and Apple isn't nearly at the end of the line in terms of getting as much money out of the current line of SRs as it can. It costs them money to refresh and the SRs will only be 4 months old at the release of Leopard.
     
  20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

    Veritas&Equitas

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Location:
    Twin Cities, MN
    #20
    You know, I was in a similar situation, and I just said screw it. I had an older 2.16 ghz Core Duo MBP, and sold it for a king's ransom locally on Craigslist, and actually bought a new SR MBP for less than what I sold my older MBP for. I'm really glad I did. Sure, Leopard will come out, and you could theoretically get it with it, but hell, it could be released in another month and a half (Oct. 31). Personally, I feel like I can easily get $65 worth of enjoyment in the next 1.5 months with my MBP.

    I'm in the camp that I don't think there will be any other upgrades. What would they be? Can't update the LED, the cpu's can only be MAYBE bumped up to 2.4/2.6, to which they can't go any higher, they obviously wouldn't go Blu-ray or anything this early in the game...I don't see where Apple could make an improvement/upgrade.
     
  21. MikeTheC Guest

    MikeTheC

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    Location:
    Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    #21
    And now that he's once again a "guest of the state", we can see where that sort of thing can get a person. ;)
     
  22. bennyboi macrumors regular

    bennyboi

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2006
    Location:
    West Coast
    #22
    Meh. I had a 17 powerbook and the battery was great for the 3 years I had it. Seems like this thread is obsessed with the latest & greatest, which I can relate, but come on OP sold 2.0 laptop and has been waiting ever since!!! So when he buys next lappy it goes up on craigslist as soon as they announce "touch" book pro. Apple needs a lease program for these people
     
  23. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
  24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #24
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

    test all you like. but in the end if you attempt to return a perfectly good computer apple will charge you a restocking fee. that fee will certainly be more than the cost of leopard.
     
  25. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #25
    I am aware of that, which is why I wouldn't consider doing it.
     

Share This Page