Is it really wrong to want a perfect iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drober30, Mar 22, 2012.

1. drober30, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

drober30 macrumors 6502a

Would it have killed Apple to let case designers know that the New iPad was going to be .06mm thicker?

How about letting the case designers know about the change in the magnet set up so they could have their cases ready and avoid these problems with us, the consumers.

All this could be done with NDAs and whats mentioned above does not even release any damaging information that could provide a competitor an advantage.

Apple is great about standing behind their products so I'm waiting to hear their response on the yellow screen issue. I personally don't like the yellow tint my iPad3 has and I also don't believe it will burn out or just go away (evaporate).

2. Built macrumors 68020

Nothing wrong with expecting a perfect iPad.

On all 3 of my iPads, I have checked for defects immediately upon returning home. I returned one iPad 2 for backlight bleed and fortunately ended up with great unit the same day when I returned to the store.

3. bill-p macrumors 68000

I think you can look at it from another point of view. There are over 3 million new iPad owners now, and at least 1 million of them, I'm sure, have been using their new iPads for almost a week now.

But you don't see 1 million people going online to complain about heat, battery life issues, yellow screens, etc...

So they must have iPads that are perfectly fine to them.

In that case, you should totally go exchange that thing until you get one that doesn't bother you.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Can't you keep your iPad pristine for the month it takes to get cases? Just be careful with it.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

For the amount of money I spent, I would expect a product free of defects. I do realize that being an early adopter opens one up to some
    of the "kinks" not being worked out.

That being said, I did exchange my first "new" iPad because it had small scratch in the back case. At first I felt like I was being a little too picky, but then I thought about how much money I had just spent on it. :)

I did think about keeping it in fear of getting a "more defective" unit. I did a quick check, no back light bleed, or dead pixels. I'm satisfied.

6. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Paying $500+ for a tablet...you better believe I want it to be perfect

7. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Best of the BEst

Both of my new ipads are just perfect with no problems or issues of any kind. Personally I think this new ipad is as close to perfection as anything. I did go through 4 ipad 2s until getting one that did not have major backlight issues or in the case of the last one replaces, the white part seperated from the base.

8. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My comments were more along the lines that Apple should realize that there are benefits to their customers and partners with sharing information that would not really be deemed classified.

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

the more people that know the details the bigger chance that information will leak out. If you haven't noticed...apple likes to keep things quiet until they are announced. If they told every case maker on the planet....it wouldn't be a surprise. i've tried 2 iPad 2 cases on my iPad 3 and they work fine...so not sure the big issue there.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

First of all, the new iPad is .06 mm thicker, not 6 mm. It's on the border of being a negligable difference. My Belkin Snap Shield for iPad 2 fits perfectly on the iPad 3.

Second of all, letting the case designers know about the new design would cause countless leaks, NDA or no NDA.

And third, the yellow tint, much like a lot of other things about new Apple products, is being blown so far out of proportion, it's not even funny.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah and they other problem is everyone gets together and tries to find problems with the new products....then it gets into someone elses head and they start looking for issues as well.

12. seadragon, Mar 22, 2012

seadragon Contributor

For almost $1,000, I too expect a "near" perfect iPad. I just took my 3rd one back for a full refund and have decided to wait a couple of months or so and re-evaluate.

Each iPad had issues with the screen. Various combinations of red and green patches which was visible when reading a book in iBooks or surfing the web for example.

Anyway, back to my original iPad I go. It has a pristine, white, evenly lit screen with absolutely no patchiness to it. Not sure what the deal is with the new ones, but they definitely have issues.

13. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

With Apple being so proud of their products fit and finish and the rock star showcasing of their product launches, the odds of getting a defective unit should be so miniscule that exchanging a one that is defective should almost guarantee a good one.

Now I know that it's not Apples design but the manufacture who is producing and assembling these products as to where the problems arise.

I'm sure Apple started working with the manufactures immediately to correct these defective screens (if you are one that believes that they are actually defective).

I will probably wait a month before I exchange mine to see if the later ones are improved. I get 45 days from BB.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It is perfect.

Brilliant screen, colors and resolution, lasts all day, Or more.
    Great games.

My spare iPad 2 case and screen protector from 6mo ago fits like it was made for it.

15. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the correct spec, I edited my original post.

Your first point may be true but not necessarily for all cases.

Your second point: What would they really be leaking? That the polarity changed on the magnets? What damage is that going to cause Apple? However, it would have made lot's of other peoples life easier from disappointment, returns, phone calls and eating shipping charges.

Third point: Some people are easier to please than other, agreed! However, a yellow tint on the "New Retina Display" is a major issue. Thats all this new iPad has going for it along with the bumped up specs on the CPU.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if they want to keep their product quiet is that not enough? Apple is not a company that needs to rely on case manufacturers it's the other way around. Why does apple need to go out of their way and chance a leak on their product so Griffin can make an iPad case before the product comes out??

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

The more you love your tech stuff as more than just a tool (like most of us), the more you see imperfections.

The strange thing is that this perfectionism wears off. Only if a flaw interferes with it functioning should you be concerned; after the enamored phase.

Seriously, things like a couple dead pixels, slightly yellow screens, slight heat; things that are not serious, could be overlooked and eventually not even noticed.

18. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Sorry...as much as I'd LIKE to see some info first, I have to side with Apple. In this day and age of instant, worldwide communication, NDA's and outside of your controlled environment 'cocoon' information--just does NOT work. What are the REAL implications of violating an NDA? What about the $8/hr assembly worker putting the case together? Why is it not in his/her best interest to share what he/she knows with an online blogger--for a thousand bucks? 5, 10, 50,000 bucks? The media right now--whether big media (TV, NYT, Radio, et al) or the 'Web' interaction we ALL have every day...from Twitter to FaceBook, Blogs and the "Huffington Post"---they are ALL pining for ANY factual information on releases from Apple. It's kind of cool how Apple has managed to keep a lid on their products for the most part.

Even our beloved MacRumors site had the panel (display) long before the iPad dropped. Imagine if you got a half dozen 'case' manufacturers in on the secret...or third party battery companies, the entire cottage industry that has emerged since the release of iOS, Android, BlackBerry, etc...in my very humble opinion...I think Apple's way of doing their mass launches, mass updates, and incredible secrecy ADDS to the mystic of their products. Again, my opinion only...but it seems to be incredibly fruitful for the company.

It's kind of cool to see the 'lines' on CNN, NBC nightly news, The front page of NYTimes--to the smallest of the micro blogs on the internet.

The follow up is also always a bit fun to watch as well...folks trying to find ANY fault in the latest Apple product...whatever it is, they'll bring it up and BOOM!! Al Gore's inter webs are abuzz with Warmer Temps, battery charging while gaming, bad antennas, bad battery life...while millions and millions and millions more continue to buy the products brushing the *negative* buzz under the rug almost as quickly as it came about.

I'm 40 years old...and until the second iPad, I would've never dreamt of standing in line for ANY product! I've got good credit and able to order anything they offer on line, on launch day--however, I now choose to join the other 'no life' folks in line for the experience of buying immediately at a local Apple Store! Just. Plain. Cool.

Yes, I readily admit I'm a member of the cult. I'm hooked completely on Apple gear since switching over a half decade ago from 20 years of living and working with PCs....and I'm happy to have found what I looked for for so many years!! Gadgets that work well, with an incredible 'eco' system behind them, and hold their value so I'm able to continue the upgrade process each year! L

I love their MO!

J

19. VFC, Mar 22, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

About four years ago, I showed up at a Walmart at 3AM to purchase two $299 made-for-Walmart Compaq laptops (unheard of price back then). Amazingly both were "perfect" and my kids used them while they were in college without a single failure (not even a broken key or screen latch); in fact my son is in his fifth year and still using the Walmart laptop during his student teaching semester. So if Walmart/Compaq can make a quality laptop for $300 I would think Apple could do the same for a $500+ tablet.

BTW - We will probably get our son an Apple laptop for graduation since he will be (hopefully) in an education related job where Apple has a large share of the market. It's funny when he says his 1st graders have been showing him how to operate the Apple PCs in school.

20. drober30, Mar 22, 2012

drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm referring to this specific launch and the information on the magnets that would have solved many issues for customers and third party case manufactures.

I get keeping real information secret.

----------

wow.... everything listed above has always stood for the opposite of Apple to me, however, maybe they have outgrown themselves and cant keep up.

21. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with what your saying but the information regarding the magnets was only valuable to the case designers and the customers that receive them. Nothing negative could have come from Apple releasing that information. Just not good business.

LOL... We are the same on age and beliefs when it comes to this thing called Apple. Apple brings much excitement, happiness and functionality to my life but I'm not so drunk on the Kool-Aid that I cant question some of their moves.

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

so giving manufacturer's the specs isn't real information??

23. VFC macrumors 6502a

and nothing could be worse for "people like us" to be showing off our new tech gadget and someone saying: the screen looks yellow is it supposed to look like that?

24. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Wow, "nothing worse", that's huge. So there's nothing worse in your life than this? Dude, no disrespect, man, but you need to get a life.

You seem to let other people's opinions dictate an awful lot about your emotional well-being.