Is it safe and does it cost much if you....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dfusion-, Feb 20, 2011.

1. dfusion- macrumors member

Hey guys last week en now im running my 21.5 imac late 2009 ( C2D ) 24/7, in night with display off, but imac still running programs:)

my questions is....is it safe? and are my energybills going up FAST?

PS * imac uptime is now 9 days without reboot and still runs smooooooth :cool:

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

3. B.winkle macrumors member

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Because that is what the manual says to do! It says:

Put Your iMac to Sleep

If you will be away from your iMac for less than a few days, put it to sleep.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have a 24" iMac which has been on mostly 24x7 for over a year and a half. The only times I've turned it off has been when I'm on vacation or during a storm. It doesn't draw that much power compared to lots of other things.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I leave mine on pretty much all the time too, unless I'm going to be away from it for a few days. I think I've gotten my uptime to almost a month.

7. whoda macrumors member

whoda

Other then for the occasional reboot, my iMac has not been shut down since I bought it in August 2010. I use it every day (except when I was unexpectedly hospitalized for two weeks). It is using the default power settings (sleep mode etc) as when bought new. I have not noticed an increase in my power bills. As for the wonderful storms here in Florida, I have it connected to a rack mountable sine wave power conditioning UPS unit.
    Hope this helps.