Is it Safe To Buy A Late 2013 15" MBPr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, Apr 25, 2014.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

I'm thinking of buying the 15" MBPr i7 2.3/16/512/GT750+Iris Pro at amazon.com. I would like to know if Apple fixed the IR issues for the current 15" MBPr that plagued on last years models?

2. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

is it that much cheaper than buying a new one? Just asking b/c if its a matter of saving 100 or 200 then I would just save and buy the new one.

3. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

I have no plans in getting the last years model. Amazon has the 15" MBPr for $110 cheaper than Apple's price. I just want know if IR still persists in the late 2013 15" MBPr?

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I've had five of the late 2013, none of them had image retention at all. They all did suffer with yellow tint problems in the bottom right corner however.

My advice: Check the return policy with Amazon, order it, if it isn't great, return it.

5. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked amazon.com's return policy on computers and they impose a 15% restocking fee on all new computers that have been opened. No restocking fee on non-opened computers or DOA computers.

Your experience with the late 2013 15" mbpr scares me quite a bit. Today I returned a refurbished late 2013 13" MBPr that had severe yellow tint in center of the screen. I guess I be still be using my home built gamimg/work pc i7 4770k/16GB/250GB SSD/1TB HDD/MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 2GB/Win 8.1 Pro.

Come to think of it I really don't need a powerful laptop for a basic work pc, but I will settle with MacBook Air that has a good quality screen. I will be waiting to see if the rumors are correct about the Retina MacBook Air. If its not true, I'll be purchasing the 13" i5/8/256 refurbished or new, it just depends on the price difference.

6. dalupus macrumors regular

if you have any screen issues with the computer that is considered a DOA for amazon. Basically it just comes down to what you select for the reason for return. They don't actually check anything. If you select that you are returning because it doesn't work you won't be charged for shipping or restocking. If you are looking to do gaming you are probably better off with your home built system. None of the apple laptops are going to outperform that setup you have.

However, it isn't really fair to compare a desktop system to a laptop.

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Is it Safe To Buy A Late 2013 15" MBPr?

NO, I am told they Explode ALL The Time.. :D

** Need It ~ Buy It _ If you Don't ~ then Wait!! **

Repeat as Necessary :apple: