Is it safe to buy a Mac Pro now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mtatfluler, Sep 30, 2009.

  1. mtatfluler macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    #1
    Hi,

    I am hoping to buy a Mac Pro in the next couple of weeks but stumbled across the buyer's guide and it suggests to wait. However, I've read a few comments on macrumors' forums that say there will not be an update for a while?

    Also, I am interested in purchasing a 30 inch cinema display. A refresh seemed inevitable months ago but it just hasn't happened. Should I risk buying the current model?


    I wanted to get some advice and anything helpful is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Matt
     
  2. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
  3. Beric macrumors 68020

    Beric

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #3
    How soon do you need it? There'll certainly be a big refresh in January, if not before then.
     
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #4
    With the buyer's guide saying wait, just means that if you NEED the machine -- buy it.

    If the machine is a "I want" and not a crucial need, wait until the new one ships.

    Likely a slight bump of some sort, with a GPU udate.
     
  5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

    Genghis Khan

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #5
    +1
     
  6. Techhie macrumors 65816

    Techhie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Location:
    The hub of stupidity
    #6
    Seems foolish to hold off on buying Apple's most upgradeable Mac just for a PCI graphics swap that you could do for yourself.
     
  7. handsome pete macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #7
    Like others have said, if you need it get it.

    You're likely not seeing any new Mac Pros until at least March.

    Same for the cinema display. What kind of changes are you looking for in a refresh that warrants waiting for it?
     

Share This Page