Is it safe to buy an iMac yet?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jpmoran, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jpmoran macrumors newbie

I want to buy an iMac before the end of the year, but I am a little bit nervous when it comes to the yellow screen and random shutdowns that I have been reading about.

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to buy a 27" iMac with the following Specifications:

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4 GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll

2. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yes it is safe. I am sure there are a few that may have similar issues. You have a warranty to cover any of those issues. I would imagine it is a very small percentage or reports would be much more prominent.
    I just ordered two so I am banking on it being safe to order an iMac.

3. Texran, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Texran macrumors regular

Don't buy the ram from apple, buy it from other sources and DIY, and save over 500 dollars

4. leman macrumors 604

I don't get the question - its always safe to buy an iMac?! I mean, if there is something wrong with it, you can always return it.

5. wonderspark, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

[​IMG]
    "It's so safe, you wouldn't believe it."

[​IMG]
    Reach for the lasers...

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's not safe at all. You could get mugged on the way home!

7. VulchR, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I purchased an iMac with the configuration you specified for work this summer. The hardware has worked flawlessly so far. So yes, given there's a warranty in any case, it's as safe as you're going to get for a consumer product.

See this link for an idea of how reliable Apple products and service are compared to other manufacturers.

8. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hahahahahahahaha...!!!

But seriously: sure, you can buy one. I don't think 'yellow screen' has been a problem for at least one generation...?

Although, I'd wait. If you need one now, well, you need one now; but I reckon the new ones will be out around February, complete with Ivy Bridge CPUs and bumped graphics systems.

All the best.

9. iHutch105 macrumors member

+1. Apple post-purchase RAM was £160. I bought mine from Crucial for £21. Same specs.

The thing you need to remember about buying anything is that people are generally more likely to complain. You can go on any site, be it regarding Macs, cars, houses, whatever, and there'll be horror stories.

New iMacs with problems probably make up for a very small percentage of the iMac population.