Is it safe to buy iWork off ebay?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beala, Sep 27, 2009.

1. beala macrumors member

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience buying iWork off ebay. After hearing so many bad things about buying AppleCare off ebay, I just wanted to make sure scammers aren't doing the same thing with iWork. For example, here's an auction ending in 15h for iWork single user, and it's only up to $26. Sounds like a great deal, but the auction is ONLY for the CD and serial. No manual or box. That makes me suspicious. It sounds an awful lot like the "registration key only" scam people have been running on the AppleCare auctions.

So, can anyone shed any light on this? Has anyone bought from that seller? Or bought iWorks off ebay w/o a manual or box?

Thanks!

EDIT: And now that I think about it, that auction doesn't actually say that you'll get a CD either. I wonder if they're just going to email me a serial, and a link to the iWork DL on apple.com...

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

It doesn't sound like it is legit, and all things considered iWork isn't that expensive to buy at a more legit site. I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't know of any like major scams that are going on with regard to that.

3. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Well, he is a powerseller, and has some good feedback. It could be legit. One thing you have to take into consideration is, at the time of posting this, there's still over 14 hours left on the bid. I know a lot of people wait until the last 5 minutes or less to make their bids. So you could see the price go from $26 up to closer to full retail within an hour of the end.

4. zbasarab macrumors member

the auction is most (99%) likely legit. Apple doesn't put serials on their products (including their OS) so most likely what the ebayer did was download iWork on one of his computers and then sold the CD to make a profit.

So technically, he's stealing

5. beala thread starter macrumors member

Darn it! Now I wish I didn't ask! If I bid then I'll feel guilty for buying "stolen" goods. :p

But actually, now I'm confused. iWork doesn't need a serial number? The one I DLed from apple.com says it needs a serial number in 13 days or it will stop working (demo version). Is this only the case with the DL'd demo version?

If I buy the full version can I just enter its serial, or will I have to uninstall the demo and reinstall the full version?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Powerseller does not equate to legitimacy unfortunately. I ran into that thought process while seeing photoshop CS4 on ebay. Asked the seller how could he sell something 300 under retail and it not being a pirated version. I never heard back, which is code for it was a pirated/counterfeit version.

The old adage, "if its too good to be true, then it probably is," fits wonderfully for ebay.

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It certainly can be: I recently sold my iWork 08 software. I sold it with the disc, box, install guide, and even the Apple logo stickers :). So look for photos showing the items you'll be receiving (disc at a minimum) and verify with the Ask a Question feature, if you're still uncertain.

And I'll be selling my iWork 09 kit in about a year, if you can wait :)

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you send your money, and the seller sends the program, and it installs and runs like it's supposed to, then it's safe.

If the jerk doesn't send it, it's not safe. That's eBay. You never know.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not necessarily. Don't forget those reports of the pirated versions of iWork containing malware. I'd be careful at this point, especially of the price is too good to be true

10. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Just dish out the few extra bucks and play it safe... it might be worth the risk if it was like a $500 piece of software, but for iWork... you don't now if it is legit, it could contain malware, you don't know exactly if you are even getting a cd... it sounds like too much of a ? to deal with for like $50.