is it safe to buy the Apple TV4 now

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by davidoloan, Apr 19, 2017.

1. davidoloan macrumors 6502

Macrumors says "Don't Buy". Its 541 days since the ATV 4 was launched.

Does the fact that there is evidence a new 4k version is being developed mean that its coming soon?

The average days between releases is skewed by the fact that Tim's Apple took 1097 days between releases.

I'd like to sell my remaining Apple TV3's and upgrade them to ATV4's from the refurb store, but not if the new one is coming out tomorrow. But I don't want to wait forever either.

Under Steve it was a year to a year and a half, under Tim who knows.

If I do buy them I'll have to also buy some of the competitors boxes too that actually have UK catchup apps, unlike the Apple TV - WTF Tim.

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Depends, I think the 4K Apple TV is coming, but probably won't debut before fall at the earliest. I have a feeling that an AT5 will just be a spec bump with a new chip and 4K support and the AT4 will continue to be supported (and possibly sold as a cheaper option) so if 1080p is good enough for your TVs go ahead and buy.

3. Richard28 macrumors member

If you live in the UK the ATV4 has always been a 'don't buy'. Rubbish content, hardware and price compared to its peers. Simply an awful product.

as You point out, to get UK services you need a different streamer, so why not just buy that instead, ATV4 not needed!

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Tim? Apple doesn't write the apps for the services, it is the other way around. It is up to the services to write apps for the devices that they want to support.

5. Richard28 macrumors member

Absolutely Tim/apple should be responsible. Other streamers get these services, why? because they are helped to get them on their product, either financially or technically.

Apple has shown no appetite for helping broadcasters in the UK support the ATV, (just look at number of services and quality of those that are there - Now tv app anyone?!) and broadcasters have not seen the need for it either. Stale mate... stale product. The Apple TV could have been special a few years ago had attention been paid to it then but now it is dying.... Yes Tims fault.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's safe in that you probably won't get robbed or physically hurt by doing so.

Imo, it's $130 bucks. Not nothing, but if you plan on using it for like a year or two, it's not a big deal if they come out with an updated model soon. It's not the same weight as blowing $900 on an iPhone or $2,500 on a Macbook right before an update.

If you have a 4k tv, don't buy the ATV4.
    If you plan on upgrading for a 4k tv very soon, don't buy the ATV4.
    If you plan to upgrade to 4k eventually but have no plans at the moment, buy the ATV4.
    If you just bought a new 1080p system and have no plans to buy another tv for a while, definatley buy the ATV4.

7. davidoloan, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

I've always liked them, especially the Apple TV4 that I've had for approx 2 years. It's almost my favorite Apple product.

But the complete lack of UK catchup TV apart from the iPlayer is inexplicable when all the others have it. Apple charges a large premium for Apple TV and it seems to me if the others all have ITV, C4, C5 then Apple should make it happen. It's not like this is an issue related to the uncertainty of where the whole area is going.

It makes the price of £140 seem almost like a piss take. I was happy to pay it before, but to have to buy an Amazon box to go along side it seems rediculous.

The difference is under Steves apple I was enthusiastic to follow the path he was charting but under Tim, well I don't believe in him as a product man. Short term business CEO yes, long term no.

I'll likely buy them or the new model but I'm starting to feel it's nostalgia driving my purchases. Maybe that's why I changed from the iPhone plus to the SE.

I'd be interested to know why the UK TV companies are not interested in Apple TV from their point of view.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    Yes, but what creates a situation where all the UK TV companies are not on Apple TV when they are on the competitors? Apple has an interest in that. Put it this way: if Netflix and YouTube also were not interested in being on Apple TV, should Apple just stand back? I know that I would struggle to justify the purchase even more as a consumer. It would be interesting to understand why they want to be on the competitor platforms.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    That probably is the basis I'll buy them on, but it's a big change from the enthusiasm I used to base these purchases on.

Plus I'll buy an Amazon one at the same time because it seems to justify its place in the market place.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't know. Here in the USA Apple TV is a distant 4th place yet most* companies are willing to write the apps for ATV anyway. I don't know anything about the UK market.

Apple does have a developer assistance program for both individuals and enterprise level support for larger companies. I've read an article about them working with Netflix. As far as I know, this is available globally and they wouldn't refuse help to UK media companies.

* Yes Amazon Prime video is a famous holdout here, but that is for competitive reasons. I read an article where Amazon admitted to have already developed a Prime TVOS app and they just don't submit it to the app store. Amazon has also stopped selling ATVs and Chromecasts.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I've used all the streaming boxes, but the one I've setttled on is the ATV4, it has been rock stable for me, the apps look and work the best. I use the Channels app with a Silicon Dust HD Homerun for OTA tv. That same HD Homerun is used by Plex for DVR duties, and I like the way the tv area ties together all my streaming apps including HBO Now