Is it safe to buy the touch on Amazon?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LoganT, Jan 15, 2008.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

So I really want to buy it on Amazon but I'm afraid the the 5 new applications won't be on it. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. shoelessone macrumors 6502

3. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Me too I was going to order today...I guess not now thanks :apple:

4. laokai macrumors member

news from a call to Apple

I ordered one on Amazon today as soon as I heard about the new apps, but had the same question.

I just called the Apple sales number listed on their website and spoke with a sales dude. He said that anyone who purchased a Touch after Dec 27 would be eligible to get the upgrades for free.

I'll post more when I get my Touch tomorrow and figure out how to get the apps w/o paying 20 bucks. Otherwise, it goes right back to Amazon.

5. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

6. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the normal, if you bought after Macworld you would get a free update. I'm thinking buying from dabs.com, £10 cheaper than Amazon and £45 cheaper than Apple Store.

7. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

that is true we can always send it back to amazon if it doesn't come with it. However last time I sent something back(macbook came with a faulty battery) I was expected to pay return shipping so I just wound up keeping it and getting it fixed at the applestore.

8. RuggerDoc macrumors newbie

laokai, I just received my Touch from Amazon less than 24 hours before the new Apps were listed. :mad: I called the Apple sales number, who then transferred me to customer service. The lady told me if I had bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com to download the update, and it would be credited to my credit card.

However, since I bought it from Amazon, I don't qualify for the rebate. She said to contact Amazon... but that's not going to go anywhere.

I really didn't want to jailbreak... but I might not have a choice.

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Except, you know, paying $20. In the long run it's certainly worth it, considering the time and effort you'll spend jailbreaking your iPod with each new firmware for the next 2-3 years.

10. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

Worst comes to worse I'll have to buy the 20 dollar apps and it would then be the price of the retail iPod touch.

11. laokai macrumors member

Yeah, now it looks like the buzz is that Apple will compensate those who bought their Touch through Apple, but not others. Ok :rolleyes:

In the meantime, it looks like Amazon has dropped the price of the Touch by exactly $10, so we can ask for a price match for that amount.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-16-GB-iPod-touch/dp/B000JNYWBG/

So with the 10 bucks back from Amazon and another 10 bucks of your own, you can effectively add the new apps and the price comes out the same as before.

EDIT: Err, bad math on my part---it would still be $10 out of your pocket.

12. laokai macrumors member

13. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

0_o that doesnt seem right why would it take them over a month to get the newly updated touch with software preinstalled. I almost wonder if they know something. Could apple be updating the touch with some new hardware features on feb 28 during the SDK?

14. 05elstonc macrumors regular

05elstonc

I just ordered from Amazon the 16gig Touch. It was $358.99. On Apple.com it was $399. It does not come with the new software, but it will still be a $20 discount after I pay the $20 new software fee to Apple. I am excited. Coming tomorrow because of Amazon Prime.

Yay!

15. theman macrumors 6502a

hmm yeah, that sounds very strange... and suspicious. argh, i want to buy, but now i think i might need to wait until feb. 28th... :(

16. sashag macrumors newbie

I am about to do the same thing. Please let me know if you have any trouble upgrading to the new apps or transferring your music to the new itouch. thank you in advance.

17. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I bout mine i believe on late Tuesday night/ early wend morning from amazon with one of the faster shipping methods. They first gave me an estimated arrival time of Monday Jan 21st and my touch was supposed to ship out yesterday. Then more recently it changed to ships on the 21st.

I'm wondering why? I'm hopeful that the reason is that they decided to push the ship date back because apple decided to have them to put orders on hold while they send new stock to then be sent out while amazon ships back any left over 1.1.2 stock so apple can update and send those back out to the supply chain later. I seem to recall something similar happening before with one of the macs but i cant remember what.

Regardless I intend to keep people posted here and also will probably be posting picts and reviews at some point in the future on my blog :)

18. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

just checked amazon and they pushed my order back yet again until the 24th :/