Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I'm wondering about whether its safe to carry around/move my macbook pro when it's sleeping, or whether its safer to shut it down? Does it make a difference? Please enlighten me someone.

Ptyger

macrumors demi-god
Nov 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I carry my MBP all around campus in my backpack while it sleeps, and I have had absolutely no problems doing it. The main reason you don't want to move it around while it's "active" is that the hard drive heads are moving around continuously, and sudden changes in direction can throw them off and possibly break them.

While your machine is sleeping, however, the hard drive has "parked" the heads, thus they are not moving and it is perfectly safe to move it around at whatever level you are comfortable doing so.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
It's safe. There are other factors to take into account. If the Mac is awakened during travels, depending on the case/bag, it could gt hot until it goes back to sleep due to poor ventilation. I would also take into account how long the travel time is.

Depending on where I'm going I will leave it in sleep mode or shut it down. I have a Brenthaven (sp?) bag and I haven't had any issues with my MBP getting hot. Occasionally I will see the Apple logo light up - YMMV.

Leaving it in Sleep Mode will drain the battery faster than turning it off (obviously), that's why it is important to determine travel time.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I'm wondering about whether its safe to carry around/move my macbook pro when it's sleeping, or whether its safer to shut it down? Does it make a difference? Please enlighten me someone.

The safest bet for this would be to put the notebook in hibernation. But, alas, it seems that Mac OS X does not have such an option - Windows and Linux do.

The difference between a sleep mode and hibernation is that the system copies the entire RAM to the hard disk before it shuts off and the next time you turn the computer on, it resumes where you left it.

It does not require a battery buffer like the sleep mode does and resuming from hibernation is always faster than a fresh reboot and restoring your work environment. Also, a computer in hibernation can not accidentally wake up and its hard drive definitely remains in the parking position.

But, well, I don't such a menu anywhere in Snow Leopard so it seems that Apple has not implemented that feature. This feature is useful when you are not just moving your computer from one office to another but have to take it on a slightly longer travel, let's say from home to work or on a plane. I know many folks who never shut down their notebooks but use hibernation exclusively.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009

i read the title and thought you were sleepwalking with your MBP :eek:

Collider

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

But yea, as everyone else said, it should be perfectly safe to move with it while its sleeping, provided it's not in a position where it'd be liable to wake itself up in transit.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
The safest bet for this would be to put the notebook in hibernation. But, alas, it seems that Mac OS X does not have such an option - Windows and Linux do.

The difference between a sleep mode and hibernation is that the system copies the entire RAM to the hard disk before it shuts off and the next time you turn the computer on, it resumes where you left it.

It does not require a battery buffer like the sleep mode does and resuming from hibernation is always faster than a fresh reboot and restoring your work environment. Also, a computer in hibernation can not accidentally wake up and its hard drive definitely remains in the parking position.

But, well, I don't such a menu anywhere in Snow Leopard so it seems that Apple has not implemented that feature. This feature is useful when you are not just moving your computer from one office to another but have to take it on a slightly longer travel, let's say from home to work or on a plane. I know many folks who never shut down their notebooks but use hibernation exclusively.

Hibernation can be achieved by modifying the sleep state in terminal.

Alternatively, download the DeepSleep widget which allows you to hibernate from Dashboard

the-sandman

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Leicester, UK

This made me laugh so much! Can see how you got that from the title :p

I always put my MBP to sleep, its had 45 days of uptime so far, i always have the charger so if it goes into deep sleep i reconnect and turn it back on, never had any issues with it turning on randomly or anything either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.