Is it safe to dock the Iphone with the case on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAKnits, Feb 4, 2008.

1. DAKnits macrumors newbie

Is it safe to dock the iphone while keeping the case on? I've been searching for the perfect IPhone case for my needs, and came across a few posts that say that the IPhone should not be kept in a case while docking because the heat build up will destroy battery life. On the Apple site, it also says that if you notice your IPhone getting hot while docking, you need to take it out of the case for that reason. Does anyone leave their case on while docking? Does your IPhone get hot?

Right now I'm seriously considering the ISkin Revo with belt clip, but I'm afraid that taking the case completely on and off every night will stretch out the case. The Otterbox Defender is another case I'm seriously considering, but I've read taking the case on and off every night is too difficult (and I'm not sure if the rubber gets stretched out from this). I was also considering the Sena Dockable case, but ultimately decided that it doesn't provide enough protectoin because I frequently throw the phone into my bag which has food and a sippy cup for my daughter, and I allow my three year old to handle my phone to watch podcasts, so the chance of dropping at some point is pretty high.

I wish there was a case that lets the IPhone breathe so that there are no issues keeping it on while you dock, has a belt clip/holster that doubles as a video stand, has a hard protective piece that goes over the front of the Iphone like the ISkin, or a holster that allows you to put the phone in backwards to protect the screen (I already have anti-glare film on the screen), and covers almost all of the phone, with attached pieces that plug into the headphone jack, docking port, etc... rather than separate pieces that you can lose, like the ISkin. If this exists, someone *please* tell me because I think I've read every review of every case out there. :confused:

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

The overheating issue depends A LOT on circumstances. I've noticed it doesnt get hot when i just charge it and it's on airplane mode or off. Playing music, surfing the 'net, etc while charging? That will heat it up. So maybe make your decision based on how you charge; is it possible for you to charge while not using it?

While it doesn't have a belt clip, cases like the Agent 18 easily come apart for docking. I think any non-skin type case will offer more breathing room and less risk if you charge with the case on it.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I have the InvisibleShield...

and the Belkin Acrylic Clear Case and I take my iPhone out of the case every night while charging in the dock. I had the MarWare Rubber/Silicon Case and it did lose its shape and actually began scratching the metal bezel/trim when taking it off and putting it back on daily. :cool:

4. DAKnits thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been taking my phone out of the Z-Cover skin every night to charge, and there are a lot of scuff marks as a result. :( I read that the Contour Showcase is "properly ventilated" enough to keep it on while charging, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know if that's true. Even if I have to take the Showcase off, it seems like it may have enough of the features in a case that I'm looking for, but if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear it.

I don't surf while charging -- I put my phone on the charger at the end of the night when I go to sleep, so I'm not sure I should be concerned about it heating up, but after reading about the issue, I think I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to battery life.

Maybe I should consider one of the hard acrylic cases after all -- I was mainly focusing on the most protective case, which seem to be the rubber cases, b/c dropping the phone is a real issue for me (I've always dropped all of the phones I've owned and have a three year old who watches podcasts on my phone). There's probably less of a chance of scuffing the phone by taking the case on and off with the acrylic cases, as long as they'll protect the phone in a fall as much as a rubber case.

Thanks for the replies!

5. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

I have the iSkin Revo. For a while I would remove the case and dock the phone but I've been too lazy to do so. I've heard of this problem before but I've never experienced it with any of my iPods. I've been an iSkin user since my 4G iPod.

I've left my iPhone plugged in for a whole day and I've never felt it get hot. It might be a case of the case insulating the warmth, but I've felt my iPhone burn up and it's never gotten that bad while charging.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think if you are a DROPPER...

you definitely want to go with something that you can guarantee a "firm grip" and maybe a "viewing stand" capability. The best of two worlds! I know what you are talking about when you have the "youngster" that likes to watch things on the iPhone; during the holidays my grandson and nephew watched Transformers, while my iPhone was docked and turned on its side with the dual headset adapter and a pair of Bose In-Ear Headphones blasting away. They were busy for several hours...:cool: