Is it safe to download Itunes software applications that are not from Itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoeShmo43, Oct 21, 2009.

1. JoeShmo43 macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2009
    Im just curious if its a good idea to download itunes software from a site not affiliated with apple? Should i worry about glitches and problems or is it a pretty common thing? Just let me know what you think. Thanks!
  2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
  3. chill. macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2008
    sometimes you want an earlier version of itunes that is less bloated or if you are hacking your iphone then you want an earlier version that doesn't stop your jailbreak, etc.

if it were me, i would just take the dive and download itunes from a 3rd party because i like to experiment and customize software to suit my purposes. i also have time machine backups though, don't keep sensitive information on my computer, and am prepared to start from scratch if things don't turn out well

it is up to you to hedge your bets when determining whether to trust 3rd parties
  4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2007
    From the looks of the original poster's link, it seems that (s)he wishes to download a third-party application that works WITH iTunes—not an older version of iTunes.

Yes, I'd consider this as "safe" as any other software download.

However, you may note that Soundcrank is only available for Windows. is an application that seems to do similar things for Mac users. My local Apple Store sells TuneUp, so I would assume it's safe :).