Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
What do ya'll think? The USA maps for TomTom is around 1.4 gigs. Will this harm my iP4? Damage the wifi chip or something? I am currently experiencing the credit card declined problem in iTunes on my laptops and desktop. But for some reason can still purchase from my iPhone.

Thanks

garretruh

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Minnesota
Re:

Of course you can download it. The download isn't going to hurt the Wifi chip. The only thing it'll do is take up space; it'll download and work fine. The amount of stress this will put on your wifi chip is negligible.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
What do ya'll think? The USA maps for TomTom is around 1.4 gigs. Will this harm my iP4? Damage the wifi chip or something?
This is hilarious. Hurt the chip. LOL!!! Well you might hurt its feelings having it download so much but Mr WiFi Chip will get over it. :rolleyes:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
What do ya'll think? The USA maps for TomTom is around 1.4 gigs. Will this harm my iP4? Damage the wifi chip or something? I am currently experiencing the credit card declined problem in iTunes on my laptops and desktop. But for some reason can still purchase from my iPhone.

Thanks

Wow... Just Wow...

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
haha I guess that was pretty funny. Never hurts to be too cautious :p

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Power Drainage Ahoy! Make sure you are plugged before embarking on this long adventure!

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I downloaded it on my iPhone using 3G (using My3G), because I'm not able to connect to Wi-Fi in my room using my iPhone. It took maybe a little over an hour perhaps? I can't really remember, because I just left it downloading while plugged in to the charger.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks

Why would it hurt your phone?

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Why would it hurt your phone?

At some point I remember reading about the original iPhone's wifi overheating and damaging the wifi. Of course I could be wrong. I have an original iPhone and the wifi option is grayed out. Just curious is all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I downloaded it on my iPhone using 3G (using My3G), because I'm not able to connect to Wi-Fi in my room using my iPhone. It took maybe a little over an hour perhaps? I can't really remember, because I just left it downloading while plugged in to the charger.

A little over an hour using a 3G connection?
I think it would take alot longer than that to download 1.4GB.
It took me over an hour and half and thats using my homes 20Mb/s wifi connection. It all depends how fast your internet speed is and also downloading stuff from the appstore is not that fast.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
At some point I remember reading about the original iPhone's wifi overheating and damaging the wifi. Of course I could be wrong. I have an original iPhone and the wifi option is grayed out. Just curious is all.

Ziphone fried some wifi in the original iPhones back in the day. Perhaps that's what happened.

Just go ahead and download it.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Thanks

For the sake of the thread, why would you think it can "harm" the chip?? just very curious.

If that ever happen you will get a brand new phone from Apple Care, due to a Manufacture issue. So even if that is true, don;t worry about it. It is not like you are trying to increase the output power of the chip by 25db

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I downloaded CoPilot directly on my iPhone. What a big mistake.

Just remember, for downloads directly on the device, you need twice as much space. The actual size just to download, plus itself again for when it's installing.

Also, while the download can take a bit, the installation process can be very lengthy.

I would just recommend trying to get it installed from the desktop. It's faster in both respects and doesn't require anything more than the actual size of the app to install it.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I tried downloading a navigation program directly to my old 3G once and I never did it again. My wifi at home wasn't the fastest, and with a few connection hiccups, I had to restart the DL twice and finally gave up early in the AM before I had to leave for work.

I use my PC to do the download anything over 100-150Mb.

YMMV

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
if you are downloading something over 1Gb on your iphone make sure you use a case as it will damage the phone and the chip :eek:

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Also you will have to turn the autolock feature to never so it doesn't stop downloading while the phone dims.

Are you sure?

iOS 4 has persistent WIFI; app store downloads should continue even after exiting the app store program or with the screen dimmed/off. I downloaded TomTom while my phone was locked/screen off.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Im pretty sure once the screen locks wifi automaticly shuts off and your download will fail.

My downloads always continue over wifi when the screen dims and goes out, i believe if the wifi is active and needed it does stay on, i've seen this a lot lately downloading many spanish educational apps hefty in size, or I am just seeing things, hahah:cool:

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I downloaded it today. Took around 2.5 hours from wifi at work. Just for the fun of it, I had auto-lock set to 1 minute and left it like that. No problems when the phone went into sleep mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.